Gwendolyn Strong Foundation
Join Team GSF as we run to end SMA, the #1 genetic killer of babies.
via Crowdrise 2 years ago
Support the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation's mission to end SMA, the #1 genetic killer of babies, by joining or donating to our LA Marathon Team. We are running, walking, and wheeling to raise much needed awareness and research dollars for this brutal disease! Together we can end SMA one step at a time!
The Gwendolyn Strong Foundation (GSF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing awareness and accelerating research towards a cure for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), the #1 genetic killer of infants and young children. SMA is incurable, untreatable, terminal and underfunded. But...there is enormous HOPE -- right now -- in labs around the world. We are determined to make sure funding is not what stands in the way of a cure.
* SMA is the #1 genetic killer of young children. Although born healthy, children with SMA eventually lose the use of all muscles, including the ability to walk, crawl, eat, breathe and even swallow.
* 1 in every 40 people, or nearly 10 million Americans, UNKNOWINGLY carries the gene responsible for SMA. Few have any known family history.
* SMA is a pan-ethnic disease and does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, or gender.
* There is currently NO treatment and NO cure, but the National Institutes of Health (NIH) selected SMA as the disease closest to treatment of more than 600 neurological disorders.
* Researchers estimate that a viable treatment and/or cure is attainable in the near future – IF provided adequate resources.
* The American College of Medical Genetics recommends that SMA carrier testing be made available to ALL couples planning a family, regardless of ethnicity or family history.
YOU can make a difference in the future of this cruel disease. Join the fight. Together we can END SMA. One person and one dollar at a time.