BENEFITING: Extraordinary Institute
"This scholarship means I can study one more night a week."
-Current XI Scholar
Why we exist - 8% of low-income students who enroll in college complete their education.
That needs to change, even if it requires a new approach.
Extraordinary Institute (XI) is a DC based nonprofit dedicated to the goal of improving the 92% dropout rate for low-income college students through a fundamentally different approach. We don't sponsor scholarships, but instead target expenses that traditional aid programs overlook. Why? Daily financial stress. By focusing on this factor, and providing a holistic student support system, we are on track to become the most efficient college completion program.
Currently, XI works with two DC area colleges, but we have more applicants than we can support. We had to turn down students who were going through extraordinary sacrifice to earn their degrees. You can help, the 1 Year of Student Support fund means we'll be able to partner with another deserving student as they work towards graduation. 100% of your support goes directly to the students we work with, zero dollars go to program expenses.
Here's what your support enables:
- $2,500 - one semester of student support / invitation to join Advisory Board
- $1,000 - one year of textbooks for one student / invitation to join Board
- $500 - one semester of textbooks / personal thank you meeting with XI staff or XI student
- $250 - holiday transportation home for one student / XI Community Partner
- $100 - two weeks of student support / invitation to participate as XI volunteer mentor
We can do better than 8% completion, your support means a DC student will have a chance beat the statistics.