100,000 new jackets to the Homeless by Labor Day!
Organized by: JacketCoalition .org
The Jacket Coalition (jacketcoalition.org) is asking for donations to help cover the cost of giving 100,000 new jackets to people who need them before it gets cold this fall. Please act right now and ask your friends, family and co-workers to do the same. 100,000 jackets is a monster goal, so we really need to spread the word. THANK YOU!
Crowdrise makes it easy: Click the "DONATE" button, fill out the information, and get your e-receipt. Forward the email link to your people with words that encourage them to donate too, and we are on our way. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes. In fact, it takes less time than donating used jackets, and potentially less money if you take into account the value of your time and the cost of delivering .
• Donations: Every $25.00 DELIVERS a jacket to a reputable homeless shelter where it will be made available free of charge. Special consideration will be given to the mentally ill.
- Donations will be consolidated into larger shipments to shelters in various cities: Please include a suggestion with your donation and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- Shipping to an address of your choice will require donations in increments of $600. This is the value of a 24 piece carton of jackets of a single size. Don’t forget to include the address.
- We can custom pack 24 piece cartons with your choice of sizes and qty’s for $700 ($29.16 per jacket) to the destination of your choice. Don’t forget the address and how many jackets per size.
- Emailed receipts for every donation.
- Jackets will be shipped to shelters and organizations that distribute them for free whenever possible. Red Cross and Salvation Army will be utilized, but we will make every effort to only give to the locations that give our donated items. A comprehensive list of all locations with contact information is available in the reconciliation statement (last bullet point).
- Updates on where the jackets have been shipped, and progress towards the goal will be posted regularly on Crowdrise.
- Reconciliation statements are avialable upon request. It verifies that for every $25 dollars in donations one jacket has been delivered.
PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TODAY, AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CO-WORKERS TO DONATE TOO.
The Jacket Coalition Story
I was in Chicago in January and had the bright idea of walking back to my hotel after dinner. I forgot my coat, but figured hey, I'm from Montana, I can handle it. Bad idea- It was below zero and I almost froze to death!
I passed several homeless guys along the way. One of them was sleeping on the sidewalk wearing jeans, a sweatshirt and a piece of cardboard. I almost stopped to see if he was ok, but I didn't. I'm still disappointed with myself, and I’ve decided to do something. Call it my mid-life crisis of conscience.
I did some research. Per U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development statistics, over 600,000 people in the U.S. sleep on the street EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! This is the most conservative stat I could find. Others estimate as many as 3.5 million (refugees and natural disaster victims send the numbers through the roof).
Of those people, 20+% suffer from severe mental illness, and they tend to be on the street the longest. To make matters worse, these people shift in and out of homelessness, making the annual number of people that spend some nights on the street well into the millions every year.
I'm in the clothing business, and I thought to myself "I should get those guys some jackets". Then I started thinking about the cost and logistics involved in getting product to the homeless. This lead to a vision of giving BIG, and I started really crunching numbers on cost of goods, freight, warehousing fees, packaging and documentation. My pockets are nowhere near deep enough to do anything BIG by myself. But those guys keep creeping back into my thoughts...
This was the birth of The Jacket Coalition. So far we have 100,000+ new jackets that we can deliver for $25.00 each and 56,000 pair of pants at $11.00 each. These are brand new, never worn, high quality products. We are proud of these great values, and the fact that we can tell you exactly what your dollars will be giving.
100,000 jackets will not be near enough- and they won't fix the homeless problem. Regardless, 100,000 people will be warmer next winter. In addition, I truly believe that owning a nice new jacket will be a source of pride for many of these individuals, and that feels really good too! Shawn Hoagland- The Jacket Coalition (jacketcoalition.org).
Jacket Information: They fit great and wear like iron- perfect for our cause.
• Water and Wind resistant 600mm polyurethane coating
• Ratcheting Brass Zippers are the most durable available
• Extreme colorfastness to light and washing
• Wrinkle resistant, Stain Release finish
• Performance Blend fabric is more durable than cotton and dries faster
• Polyfill insulation for added warmth
• Diamond quilted 210T nylon Taffeta lining sheds dirt and debris
• Button Adjustable cuffs
PLEASE DONATE RIGHT NOW. You will be giving crisp new jackets to people who really need them for only $25.00 each! This is not a second hand, second rate jacket. How cool is that?! I can’t wait to ship the 100,000th piece!!