There are an estimated more than one million Afghans living with physical disabilities. Over half of the disabilities were caused by the atrocities of war. Approximately 300,000 of the country's disabled population have amputations of one or more legs or arms. People with disabilities live under extreme poverty and have very limited to no access to employment, education, health, sports.
We are looking to provide:
- 10 Rugby Wheelchairs and 1 week of comprehensive skills training to athletes with disabilities in Afghanistan.
- This project will enable Afghanistan to form a National Wheelchair Rugby Team program capable of participation in international competitions.
- Our project will create a sustainable platform for the growth of adaptive sports, individual empowerment, and sociocultural change in attitude towards persons with disabilities in Afghanistan.
- 300+ people with disabilities and their families will benefit from this program
- We aim to empower those individuals to take control of their lives and through their life experience to help others do the same.