EVENT DATE: Apr 22, 2017
Help make life better for kids with cancer in Central VA.
Your participation in the ASK 5K & Fun Walk helps to make life better for local children with cancer from the moment of diagnosis through treatment and beyond. Gather your family and friends, and be a part of ASK Childhood Cancer Foundation's biggest fundraiser, with over $1.2 million rasied to-date for providing Assistance, Support and Kindness to kids with cancer and their families when they need it most. Help us reach this year's goal of $165,000 to provide programs for our community's youngest cancer patients and survivors, including:
● Three staff positions: Child Life Therapist, Chaplain, and Child Psychologist at the ASK Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic at VCU
● Financial assistance to cover expenses like mortgages, car payments, and gas money for families in treatment
● Weekly after-school tutoring and summer enrichment camps for patients and survivors
● Social events for ASK kids and their families, like trips to the zoo, bowling, and the annual holiday party
● Support groups for active patients and our bereaved families
Making life better for kids with cancer. That's really the most important reason we can think of for you to register, donate or volunteer - but read on for more good stuff you'll want to know!
New: Team Spirit Award
We are adding a Team Spirig Award in 2017. This is a great way to create awareness for the cause. Why not participate and let everyone know why you are walking or running? The Team Spirit Award will be based on costumes, team name, t-shirts, props, enthusiasm, songs, chants, etc. Have fun and be creative!
Same Awesome Course & Festival
The ASK 5K & Fun Walk course is great for setting a PR (personal record) - whether for fastest time or for having the most fun! Runners, walkers, and strollers are welcomed. Take off from the Flying Squirrels’ stadium and make your way through the area neighborhoods, past the Children’s Hospital of Richmond’s Brook Road Campus, and finish in the infield, crossing home plate. CLICK HERE for the Course Map.
Water stops and spirit stations line the way and the celebration continues at the post-race festival in the concourse, featuring live music with the Jangling Reinharts, finisher food, and activities for the kids. The event concludes with an awards ceremony for top finishers and fundraising teams, and the inspiring ASK Kourageous Kids Victory Lap.
● Race bib
● Chip timing for runners
● Participant t-shirt
● Finisher's medal
● Goodie bag
● Ticket to the Flying Squirrels' home game on May 7th to celebrate ASK Day at The Diamond