BENEFITING: Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals, Inc.
Hi everyone! I recently signed up for the NYCRuns Chanukkah Chalf Marathon at the NYCRUNS Running Festival of Lights. I also recently joined Miles for Paws, the animal welfare charity fitness team of the Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals. Through my training and running of the race, I will be combining two of my interests to raise money for this great cause!
The Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals is a 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to transform New York City into a no-kill community. In collaboration with more than 150 participating rescue groups and shelters, they have succeeded in saving more than 250,000 lives since 2003. Thanks to their efforts, the city’s euthanasia rates at Animal Care & Control (ACC) have plummeted 74 percent since 2005.
Any funds raised through Miles For Paws support programs to reduce euthanasia, such as:
- Wheels of Hope (a program that transports thousands of animals each year out of the NYC shelters, bringing them to other rescue groups that place them in forever homes)
- The New York City Feral Cat Initiative Program (which works to solve the feral cat overpopulation crisis through the humane, non-lethal method of Trap-Neuter-Return)
- The Picasso Veterinary Fund (which has paid for lifesaving medical treatment for hundreds of sick and injured animals transferred from ACC, who are then made available for adoption)
- The Helping Pets and People in Crisis program (which provides assistance to individuals fleeing domestic violence, senior citizens who require medical care outside of their home, and families facing eviction or other temporary setbacks)
- Adoption events such as Adoptapalooza (the organization’s signature pet adoption extravaganza), Architects for Animals (where architects create winter shelters for feral cats), Maddie’s Pet Adoption Days (the largest free pet adoption event in America, which makes up 30 percent of total pet adoptions nationally), Bark in the Park (an annual baseball game at MCU Park in Coney Island), Broadway Barks (a free, star-studded dog and cat adoption event for animal shelters and adoption agencies), and Whiskers in Wonderland (a holiday pet adoption event)
- Neighborhood microchipping
- Community classes, workshops, and other educational events
- And more!
If all goes according to plan, I'll be running 281.1 miles total throughout my training and race day. That's only $28.11 if you hypothetically decided to pledge TEN CENTS per mile that I'll be running! Of course, anything helps, and you could be saving a life with whatever contribution you can make.
Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks for visiting my page and for the support!!