BENEFITING: 1687, Inc.
1. What is THE FACTS?
THE FACTS is a delicate, evocative TV series - an example of 21st century fine art - conceived and produced by an artist who has watched a lot of TV working with a staff of twenty people in New York City and, virtually, in Europe and the United States. Everything on the show is original. THE FACTS is an always evolving, non-commercial (probably) artwork.
The series is overtly political; the stories are about power struggles between individuals or individuals and establishment e.g. Slice Of The Facts: Radio Gets Married 2.8, and incorporate material about writing stories and music – Plays Within The Play, e.g. Thinking & Making Art. About 70% of the episodes are fictional stories made of written & improvised music, text, and pictures; 30% of episodes are one-on-one interviews or panel discussions between experts in a given field e.g. Effects of Rape.
Episodes of THE FACTS have a variety of characters, plots, and formats. The constants are the storytellers: the musicians that blend music and text. The core quartet (two soprano voices, flute, and guitar) play composed and freely improvised music. The lead soprano, also the writer/composer, delivers most of the text. Text, music, and still photos are interwoven – one taking over for the other. THE FACTS could simply be one long piece of music that includes text and pictures like writing in a painting.
♣ The character driven plots, e.g. Charlie’s Fantasy, as well as descriptions of the characters and settings are provided by the text. Plot turns are punctuated with music – music lends itself to the foggy texture and myriad cross-referencing common to emotional experiences.
♣ The psychologically expressive music examines scenes from a character’s inner life, or circumstances they find themselves in, e.g. racism, office politics, love affairs.
♣ Visual layers are created during taping and editing. We shoot in a spare TV studio, our instruments and equipment are the props and set. The video editors manipulate the raw footage by cropping photos, adding effects and visuals from other sources - usually abstract e.g. Slice of The Facts: The Fix Is In 3.6. Several painters, sculptors and photographers allow us to use their images; these pictures, like the music, are about a character’s situation - our audience imagines what the characters actually look like.
How Do People See Or Hear THE FACTS?
Since fall 2009, weekly half-hour broadcasts of THE FACTS have been available on three New York City cable TV networks: Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN), RCN, and Verizon. At this writing, we have broadcast 95 episodes.
Every month the episodes examine a theme e.g. March 2016; SOME PROBLEMS WITH LEADERS: combined music story episodes about ambition, office politics, love relationships, and rape policy, with a discussion about US torture policies; December 2015: IDEAS AND MONEY: music story episodes on money and ambition, art, and insights with a discussion between composers making art and surviving as an artist.
What we’ll do with these donations: Ninety percent of your donations will pay stipends for project personnel - Pay scales for artistic and technical personnel are based on union standards, stipends for administrative personnel are based on one hourly rate; 10% will be used for supplies and distribution fees. During the year we will post progress reports including financial details - links will be emailed to all donors.
The seventh season of THE FACTS will consist of fifty-two half-hour episodes (25.5 hours of programming) presented on TV, web video and radio. Eighteen of these episodes will be produced from June 2016 – June 2017.
Our 7th season runs from September 1 – June 30. We've finished four new music episodes (The Fix Is In parts 1, 2, 3, & 4) and expect to complete four more: The Fix Is In parts 5 & 6 and Thinking of Sandra Bland by July 2016. The remaining 10 new episodes will be produced between July and December 2016.
Music: These music-stories will feature original music and stories and our core musical ensemble: Andrew Bolotowsky, Beth Griffith, Bern Nix, and Lenore Von Stein. Guest musicians and visual artists are To Be Determined. Past guest musicians include: Mary Hurlbut, Rachel Evans, Jim Theobald, and Dom Minasi.
1. Baby’s Age: cataloguing insights, and issues revealed to a woman getting older, examining her body, mind and ideas about age - 2 episodes, 1-hour total.
2. Gilpin and The Poor: Wealth, Security and Fair Play - 2 episodes, 1-hour total.
Discussions: The discussion series for the 7th season, “Countering Misinformation” will focus on the purposes and results of the US judicial system and of commercial and fine art as well as the economics of racism. Countering Misinformation will feature 1-3 field specialists, Professor Baz Dreisinger, guest in the first two episodes, Imprisoned and Prisons, in this mini-series will discuss definitions of crime and results of incarceration. Guests in the next four episodes are TBD.
Reward #1 - All donors will be acknowledged individually by emailed donation receipt, as well as on our website, and annual report. 1687, Inc. is a non-profit organization and all donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law
1. Pledge $5.00 - $20.00 Acknowledged in the donation receipt, on our website and annual report. Estimated delivery based on donation date: Dec 2016 – June 2017
We offer the following rewards for donations of $21.00 or more:
2. Pledge $21.00 - $75.00 Donors will receive an email with a signed photo from a production outtake and reward #1. Estimated delivery based on donation date: Dec 2016 – June 2017
3. Pledge $76.00 - $150.00 Donors will receive an email with a signed backstage photo from and reward #1 & 2. Estimated delivery based on donation date: Dec 2016 – June 2017
4. Pledge $151.00 - $500.00 Donor or donor group will receive a limited edition signed script from one episode and rewards #1, 2, & 3. Estimated delivery based on donation date: Dec 2016 – June 2017
5. Pledge $501.00 - $2,000.00 Donor or donor group will receive an associate producer credit on a single episode and rewards #1, 2, 3, & 4. Estimated delivery based on donation date: Dec 2016 – June 2017
6. Pledge $2,750 Donor or donor group will also receive an executive producer credit on two related episodes and rewards #1, 2, 3, 4, & 5. Estimated delivery based on donation date: Dec 2016 – June 2017