BUTTERFLIES USA INC wrote -
Butterflies, a registered voluntary organization in New Delhi, India, runs a vocational training program that teaches culinary and catering skills to youth as a way for them to break free from destitute poverty and the dangers of street living. The Butterflies School of Culinary & Catering (BSCC) helps teenagers obtain an accredited vocational education through a year-long program of practical skills training and apprenticeships, and assists them in obtaining dignified jobs in fine dining restaurants and hotels.
- $5,537 can provide meals for 25 teenagers in the BSCC program for 12 months
- $2,953 can support 50% of the fellowship grant to 25 BSCC students for 12 months
- $1,892 can hire a teacher part-time for 12 months
Most of the teenagers and families we work with have little or no education and have been living in slums or literally sleeping on pavements all across New Delhi. Through its education programme, Butterflies is changing that reality by enrolling these youth in the National Institue of Open Schooling, giving them a quality education, including life skills training, and providing decent healthcare. Teenagers who have an interest in and aptitude for the culinary arts are encouraged to enroll in BSCC.
Hasim is 22 years old and is a BSCC alumnus. We first met him when he was 12 years old, living with his family in a slum. Today he works as an Assistant Chef at Orient Express, one of the fine dining restaurants in Delhi's 5-star Taj Hotel.
ButterfliesUSA is a 501(c)(3) charity and deductions are tax-exempt to the extent allowed by law. Your support can help more teenagers like Hasim get out of the cycle of generational illiteracy and poverty and empower whole communities by leading a new generation of youth off the streets and into lives of dignity. Butterflies is committed to guiding impoverished teenagers toward formal education and into decent skilled jobs to support themselves and their families.
BSCC needs your support to:
- Expand training in the culinary arts and catering to more teenagers including business management, finance, marketing, entrepreneurship and communications skills.
- Impart life skills education to enable these teenagers to work as successfully alongside their peers and colleagues in the hospitality sector as youth from more privileged backgrounds.
- Equip these teenagers to work in any fine dining restaurant or run their own commercial kitchen.
- Connect selected BSCC graduates to the Butterflies Business Enterprise. Youth will be given education in cooperatives, the philosophy behind them, and how to build a profit-making venture. They are encouraged to form enterprises by creating an enabling environment. Training will develop core capabilities and technical skills to further their abilities and desire to engage in lifelong learning.