Happy 30th Anniversary, NYAWC!
NYAWC turns 30 this year! Over the past three decades, NYAWC has served thousands of women and children who came to us for refuge, recovery and renewal from domestic violence and human trafficking. We have grown from a single answering machine to the largest pan-Asian domestic violence, human trafficking agency in the nation. Today, NYAWC assists and empowers 600+ survivors each year to be safe and thrive. Support from YOU and others enables NYAWC to continue providing crucial assistance to families and help them live violence free. Please donate $30 (or more!)
NYAWC’s Three Decades of Achievements…and still going strong!
• NYAWC was founded in 1982 as a graduate project
• 10 women attended the first organizational meeting
• NYAWC launched our Safe Apartments program in 1988
• NYAWC established the first ever 24-hour Asian multi-lingual hotline in NYC in 1990
• We began rallying our community, educating thousands on the issues of domestic violence
• NYAWC established our Children’s Program, offering counseling, play-therapy and parenting skills services in 1995
• We opened our second emergency shelter facility in 1999
• NYAWC introduced our first 24-hour staffed shelter facility in 2001
• NYAWC bought Rose House, a shelter for battered women & their children, in 2004
• We launched Project Free (serving human trafficking survivors), Project Speak Out (to further raise awareness about DV in our communities) and implemented legal services as well as transitional housing
• We began offering employment readiness support
• 50 staff members and more than 150 active volunteers comprise our dedicated NYAWC community