BENEFITING: PIYARA KUTTA INC
- India has the highest number of stray dogs in the world.
- A day doesn’t go by when you won’t encounter one on the streets, either lingering near the garbage dumps or lying in some corner of the street resting in the shade.
- Dogs lack food, vaccination and shelter.
- Each day, we come across a number of helpless stray dogs fighting for their painful existence.
-The dog population is growing.
- The stray dog problem is exponentially growing in overcrowded cities of India, and even in smaller towns like Dharamsala where we focus our work.
- 1 HUMAN dies of rabies every 9 minutes
- It is on the list of one of the most neglected tropical diseases. Rabies epidemics have transformed this challenge into a global public health priority.
- 54,000 people die of rabies every year
- 60% of rabies deaths are children under 15
- By reducing the incidence of rabid dog bites in India by just 5%, we will prevent the death of 1,500 children per year
- There is no cure for rabies, but it is 100% preventable