BENEFITING: Red Hook Initiative
In the Red Hook Houses of Brooklyn, 4 out of every 5 families live in poverty. A shocking 75% of 18 to 24 year olds are unemployed, while approximately 60% don't graduate high school. And we know that without a high school diploma these young people will likely continue to live their lives in poverty.
So what can we do? With your help, the Red Hook Initiative’s 500 Futures Campaign will reach 500 young people, aged 10 to 24, annually. Each and every one of these young people’s lives is at a crossroads. They need your help.
Red Hook Initiative (RHI) is an active community center providing academic support, job preparation, and extracurricular enrichment to Red Hook youth, ages 10 through 24. Over the next 4 years, RHI has committed to investing $5M to benefit Red Hook youth directly. Will you help make this happen?
Pitch in to cover the costs of books and materials:
- $25 pays for exam prep workbooks
- $50 pays for electronic books for a tutoring group
- $75 pays for robotics hands-on learning kit
- $100 pays for materials for one teen chef training session
Consider covering the costs of a young person's participation:
- $500 pays for a year of academic support for one youth
- $1,000 pays for a summer job for one youth
- $2,500 pays for a year round job for one youth
The change our youth will make for themselves through Red Hook Initiative will be very real: a high school diploma or GED, college acceptance, a good job, and a demonstrated commitment to their community. How much does a better Future cost? $2500 per young person. Learn more about Red Hook Initiative and 500 Futures here: Red Hook Initiative Brochure