This year, for the 2012 NYC Marathon, Defeat the Label is thrilled to field our first official team in the New York City Marathon! Any support you can give our 'Defeat the Label Marathoners' by sponsoring their 26 mile run on behalf of the work of Defeat the Label is greatly appreciated. Meet our runners below and back your favorite one or you can contribute to the whole team just by clicking the "Donate" button to the right.
We are teachers from Michigan and we are running for Defeat the Label because bullying is a problem in our schools and we want to put a stop to it.
The money we raise will be used for in school programming, student based clubs and and free supports for students.
At some point in life, we've all felt the pain caused from social labeling. Labels create an imbalance of power and control in our schools, workplace and communities - often leading to bullying and the bystander effect.
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied.
- 1 in 7 students is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
- Over 50% of all bullying incidents go unreported.
- Bullying intervention by adults is 4%, by peers is 11% and no intervention is 85%.
- 6 out of 10 American teens witness bullying at least once a day.
- 1 out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
- 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
Enough is enough. It's time to Defeat the Label. Now is the time to stand up against bullying. Join us as we run the New York City Marathon on November 4, 2012 and be part of this historic rallying point for the anti-bullying movement.
All donations are greatly appreciated.
Defeat the Label.