Restoring the Rose Walkathon
EVENT DATE: Sep 15, 2012
DEADLINE TO GIVE: Sep 15, 2012
FUNDRAISER SET UP DEADLINE: Sep 02, 2012
For 2012, the Restoring the Rose Walkathon is reaching out to the entire community in an effort to raise awareness and money for charity. This year we're making it easier than ever to let all of our walkers, volunteers and supporters get involved and help make a difference.
The Restoring the Rose Walkathon has partnered with Crowdrise to encourage the entire community to unite and fundraise for their favorite charity in 2012. Just imagine the impact the entire community can have when harnessed to give back in a fun and compelling way!
3 Ways to participate
- Click REGISTER to become an official walker for the event
- Click I'm already registered, but I want to Fundraise if you're already registered but would like to fundraise for our official charity or create a new team. YOU CAN ALSO FUNDRAISE THROUGH THIS LINK EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT PARTICIPATING.
- Female genital mutilation also called female circumcision is the removal of part or all of the external female genitalia. In its most severe form, a woman or girl has all of her genitalia removed and then stitched together, leaving a small opening for intercourse and menstruation. It is practiced in 28 countries in western, eastern, and north-eastern Africa, in parts of the Middle East, and within some immigrant communities in Europe, North America, and Australasia on the pretext of cultural tradition or hygiene. An estimated 135 million girls have undergone FGM with dire consequences ranging from death, infection (including HIV) to sterility, in addition to the devastating psychological effects.
- The "Restoring the Rose" Walkathon will help raise funds for victims of female genital mutilation. This summer, CAGeM is embarking on a vital new project in West Africa to contribute to the elimination of Female Genital mutilation (FGM), protect victims of FGM and aid in victims’ rehabilitation. One of the most crucial aspects of this project is the expansion of a hospital that will provide free support, counseling, treatment and rehabilitation for girls that are suffering through the many harmful and painful effects of FGM including obstetric fistula. The hospital already has hundreds of women and girls on the waiting list to undergo clitoral reconstruction surgery. The funds that we will procure from this walkathon will go towards obtaining and shipping the medical supplies that are needed to successfully treat these patients, transporting victims to the hospital, and funding the surgeries. We will also be raising funds for our partner, SAWA Association for Development in Giza, Egypt to help the fight against female genital mutilation in Egypt where the prevalence of the practice is 97%.
- Join us Saturday, September 15, 2012 for a 5K walk in New York at Riverside Park, Manhattan's most spectacular waterfront park, stretching four miles from 72nd to 158th Streets along the Hudson River. Our goal is to raise $100,000.00 towards establishing a free hospital to provide crucial treatment and genital reconstruction to victims of female genital mutilation in Africa.
Go to www.cagem.org for more information.