BENEFITING: ALLIANCE FOR A HEALTHIER GENERATION
EVENT DATE: May 22, 2011
The Weight Watchers Walk-it Challenge is supporting the Alliance for a Healthier Generation and the fight against childhood obesity . Here are some statistics to give you a little perspective on the impact of childhood obesity in the US:
- About one in three children and youth (ages 2-19) in the United States is already overweight or obese.
- Health experts predict the medical cost of obesity on the healthcare system will reach $1 trillion annually by 2030.
- Today’s kids could be the first generation to live shorter lives than their parents.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation's mission is to reduce the prevalance of childhood obesity and to empower kids nationwide to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Currently, the Alliance:
- Impacts the lives of more than 10 million kids and their families;
- Has activated more than 2.5 million tweens and teens to commit to eat better, move more and to serve as leaders to their peers; and
- Supports more than 11,000 K-12 schools throughout the country to establish healthier school environments for students.
Recently, the Alliance was selected as the official cause of the Weight Watchers 5k Walk-It Challenge.
Click here if you'd like to see a list of official Weight Watchers 5k walks that will take place throughout the country on May 22. If you don't see a walk near you, you could always organize your own 5k walk in your community. Regardless of your walking status, please consider donating to this worthy cause...whether you can donate $1 or $100, your contribution will go a long way in helping to create healthier generations of kids and adults in the United States.
Check out what the Alliance has accomplished so far...
- The Healthy Schools Program has helped nearly 80 percent of schools participating in the Healthy Schools Program (11,000+) implement new, health-promoting policy and systems changes
- The Industry Initiative has convened 13 leading food manufacturers and purchasing organizations to make products for healthier school meals more affordable and available to more than 36 million students.
- The Kids’ Movement has built the capacity of more than 400 local afterschool programs and community-based organizations to offer health education and leadership programs
- The Alliance School Beverage Agreement has led to an 88 percent reduction in total beverage calories shipped to U.S. schools between 2004 and 2009.
- The Alliance Healthcare Initiative has led to more than 2 million children gaining access to preventative health benefits.
- The Alliance has been chosen as one of the top ten charities in the child health/nutrition space by Philanthropedia.
- The Alliance is one of six founding members of First Lady Obama’s Let’s Move Initiative
If you would like to see how the Alliance has made an impact in your community, check out our online searchable archive of success stories by clicking here.