BENEFITING: ALLIANCE FOR A HEALTHIER GENERATION
EVENT DATE: May 22, 2011
Hi, I'm HealthyLinny.
I'm an advocate for healthy living and I truly enjoy life. On May 22, I'm walking a 5k to support the fight against the childhood obesity epidemic. To give you a little perspective on the impact of childhood obesity in the US, check this out....
- About one in three children and youth (ages 2-19) in the United States is already overweight or obese.
- Health experts predict the medical cost of obesity on the healthcare system will reach $1 trillion annually by 2030.
- Today’s kids could be the first generation to live shorter lives than their parents.
OK, I don't know about you...but I find this to be pretty alarming and I'm committed to doing something about it. That's why the charity that will benefit from my 5k walk participation is the Alliance for a Healthier Generation. The Alliance's mission is to reduce the prevalance of childhood obesity and to empower kids nationwide to make healthy lifestyle choices. I'm fortunate enough to work for this incredible organization and I will tell you first-hand that the work we are doing is making a difference. Currently, the Alliance:
- Impacts the lives of more than 10 million kids and their families;
- Has activated more than 2.5 million tweens and teens to commit to eat better, move more and to serve as leaders to their peers; and
- Supports more than 11,000 K-12 schools throughout the country to establish healthier school environments for students.
Recently, the Alliance was selected as the official cause of the Weight Watchers 5k Walk-It Challenge. I'm very excited to participate in this year's Challenge by fundraising and literally "Walking the Alliance Talk" at the same time! I encourage you to do the same by joining my team, donating to the Alliance, and walking a 5k on Walk-It Day. Of course I would LOOOOVE for you to get your friends and family to do the same.
Click here if you'd like to see a list of official Weight Watchers 5k walks that will take place throughout the country on May 22. If you don't see a walk near you, you could always organize your own 5k walk in your community. Regardless of your walking status, PLEASE consider donating to this worthy cause...whether you can donate $1 or $100, your contribution will go a long way in helping to create healthier generations of kids and adults in the United States.
Thanks a lot for stopping by and for supporting the important work that the Alliance is doing to combat the childhood obesity epidemic.
PS - President Clinton has said that the Alliance’s Healthy Schools Program is "one of the most extensive childhood obesity prevention efforts anywhere in our country and anywhere in the world." Check out what the Alliance has accomplished so far...
- The Healthy Schools Program has helped nearly 80 percent of schools participating in the Healthy Schools Program (11,000+) implement new, health-promoting policy and systems changes
- The Industry Initiative has convened 13 leading food manufacturers and purchasing organizations to make products for healthier school meals more affordable and available to more than 36 million students.
- The Kids’ Movement has built the capacity of more than 400 local afterschool programs and community-based organizations to offer health education and leadership programs
- The Alliance School Beverage Agreement has led to an 88 percent reduction in total beverage calories shipped to U.S. schools between 2004 and 2009.
- The Alliance Healthcare Initiative has led to more than 2 million children gaining access to preventative health benefits.
- The Alliance has been chosen as one of the top ten charities in the child health/nutrition space by Philanthropedia.
- The Alliance is one of six founding members of First Lady Obama’s Let’s Move Initiative
If you would like to see how the Alliance has made an impact in your community, check out our online searchable archive of success stories by clicking here.
C'mon...how could you not want to be a part of this?!