Sleeping sickness is the stuff of pure nightmares. The parasite that causes the disease attacks the nervous system, killing adults and children alike. Until recently, treatment has been toxic, even lethal.
Today, the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is running clinical trials for desperately-needed new treatments, which, if successful, will revolutionize patient care in some of the remotest and hardest hit regions of Africa—and may help eliminate this deadly disease within a matter of years.
We’re asking you to help us raise funds towards DNDi's ultimate $5 million goal to bring these groundbreaking treatments out of the pipeline and into the hands of patients.
Will you join us in making medical history?
How to Help
Every Day is a Learning Day
- Making medical history requires highly trained staff who can deliver the best possible care. Your gift could enable DNDi to conduct a 5-week training course for a nurse, doctor or member of research staff in the DRC ensuring the best possible treatment and care for patients with sleeping sickness.
- We need to do everything that we can to keep our patients comfortable and safe during their hospital stay. Your gift could pay for mattresses and mosquito nets to help 100 patients sleep soundly.
- Your gift can pay for DNDi medical teams to test 20 patients and detect whether or not they are suffering from this deadly disease, enabling patients to receive treatment.
One Week Hospital Stay
- One day, hospital stays for sleeping sickness may be a thing of the past – patients could take their treatments orally right from home. For now, DNDi teams must test these new exciting drugs in a clinical trial setting. Your gift can pay for one patient to take part in a clinical trial for a week.
A visit from the Doctor
- Many sleeping sickness patients live in extremely remote areas. In the rainy season, DNDi’s teams must travel by boat and on foot to reach those in need. Your gift can pay for African research teams to make the difficult journey to follow up with patients who have been treated for this deadly disease in their own village.
Shine a light
- The hospitals and clinics where sleeping sickness patients come for treatment and to take part in DNDi’s clinical trials tend to be in remote, rural areas where electricity is not a given. Your gift can enable DNDi to purchase a solar panel, keeping hospitals running and providing light at night.