We use our love of running to aid in our Lung Cancer Foundation's mission of eliminating Lung Cancer by bringing Run for a Purpose to your town and by running as Run for a Purpose TEAM in races and endurance runs. We have 5k races from Dallas to Austin and our TEAM has participated in races from the OKC Memorial Marathon to the Cactus Rose 50mile endurance run. We raise money to fight for a cure and we run for those who can't!
Rexanna's Foundation for Fighting Lung Cancer was formed to help fight a disease that is negatively impacting so many and taking the lives of countless loved ones. To date, 90% of all donations made to Rexanna's Foundation have gone directly to impacting the cause.
The mission of Rexanna's Foundation for Fighting Lung Cancer is to financially support efforts dedicated to eliminating lung cancer, improving detection methods and enhancing the quality of life for lung cancer patients. Rexanna's Foundation is dedicated to improving public awareness of all facets of lung cancer, including research, patient care, education, prevention and survivorship. Rexanna's Foundation is committed to supporting lung cancer research at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center with specific direction as designated by the Board of Directors.
- To raise funds for lung cancer research and education at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.
- To raise awareness of the need for continued research.
- To provide patient and family support.
- To promote early detection and prevention.
- To provide hope for individuals facing lung cancer.
- To provide educational support to raise awareness and reduce smoking rates among children and young adults.
- To influence local, state and federal policy regarding funding for lung cancer research.
- To pursue other endeavors to make a positive impact on lung cancer research and/or patient care.
Who we are and Why
Rexanna's Foundation for Fighting Lung Cancer was formed to help bring awareness and raise funds for a disease that is negatively impacting so many and taking the lives of countless loved ones. Despite claiming more lives than breast, prostate, colon, liver, melanoma and kidney cancers combined, lung cancer is largely ignored, under-funded and under-researched. We have come together to help raise desperately needed funds to fight the world’s leading cancer killer.
Each of our board members has been personally touched by this terrible disease and is committed to fight to find a cure. Rexanna’s Foundation is named for Rexanna Hawkins, a lifelong educator and coach who was devoted to her students, family and friends. A nonsmoker throughout her life, Rexanna was diagnosed only two months before she lost her battle with lung cancer at age 49 in 2006.
Rexanna’s strength, faith and sheer will in her fight for life is an inspiration and our motivation. Please join us as we “Huddle Up for the Cure” in Rexanna’s memory to raise funds and awareness of all facets of lung cancer.
Rexanna's Foundation is IMPACTING OTHERS...
To date Rexanna’s Foundation has donated over $140,000 to The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
- We are supporting a comprehensive Thoracic Center database that tracks every lung cancer patient. The database is designed to give researchers and physicians a panoramic view of each patient to help in developing more effective treatments and improving treatment outcomes.
- We are supporting a partial fellowship dedicated to research within Thoracic/Head & Neck Oncology.
- We are supporting efforts to improve education regarding lung cancer. We support the publication of a booklet on lung cancer being distributed to lung cancer patients.
- We are providing lap prayer blankets to individuals who are fighting lung cancer.
- We are supporting students who have been impacted by cancer with funding for college scholarships.
- Our Tobacco Free T.E.A.M. campaign helps educate students by making them aware of the negative impact of tobacco use.
- We support the Lung Cancer Alliance by joining forces with advocates around the country to fight lung cancer by raising awareness.
WHY? Because lung cancer is the #1 Cancer Killer!