RAICES DE ESPERANZA INC wrote -
Often, when people talk of Cuba they invariably look back, but our Roots reach for the sky. Since its inception, ROOTS OF HOPE has been empowering Cuban youth to be agents of change with innovative programs such as CELLS 4 CUBA and our Family Reunification Program. By bringing Cuban youth into the 21st century technologically and building cultural and academic relationships with our counterparts on the island, the seeds of hope that we have planted are starting to grow in the most amazing of ways. But the road ahead is long and we can't travel it alone.
RUN FOR ROOTS is the embodiment of our mission. Every step you take will support our award winning initiatives and every mile you run will help inspire Cuban youth to greater heights. We will provide you with all the training and support you will need to run, run/walk the ING MIAMI HALF MARATHON and when you cross that finish line, not only you will you get a medal – you will also have the satisfaction of knowing you have made a tangible difference for a population that desperately needs it. Roots of Hope is on a run and we want you to join us!
A Registration of $75 is requested upfront and will go towards your fundraising requirements.
There are two levels of fundraising for Run for Roots:
- The Race Minimum of $500 gets you entry into the race, training and fundraising support clinics, a tech t-shirt, and admission to the Roots of Hope pre-race party.
- If you choose to fundraise the Travel Minimum of $2000, you will receive entry into the race, training and fundraising support clinics, a tech t-shirt, and admission to the Roots of Hope pre-race party. In addition, we will also reimburse up to $350 for your airfare to the Miami area and $150 for hotel accomodations, arrange for special discounted rates through our race partners, and help coordinate hotel logistics.
TRAINING & SUPPORT:
- we will provide a virtual support system, with all materials easily accessible online
- 13-weeks of Beginner and Intermediate training begin the week of October 31st and end the week of Dec. 18th.
- Four preparation clinics will be provided on the following topics: (a) Gear, (b) Fitness, (c) Nutrition/Hydration, and (d) Fundraising
- Facebook page will provide daily support from our head coach
- Training groups will be assembling in New York City and Miami on Wednesday evenings to run together
Kara Grenier, Head Coach
Having coached Team in Training for three seasons as well as completing five marathons and multiple half marathons, Kara realized she may not have necessarily been born to run, but she was definitely born to coach. She will chase you up hills, burn through your excuses, and get you to do ten more squats than you ever thought possible in any one workout. Balancing tough love with an after practice cocktail, Kara’s goal is to get runners to live up to and explode past their potential, safely and joyfully.
Because raising money for a cause makes the finish line that much brighter, Kara will be an Assistant Coaching for DetermiNation’s spring season and be the Head Coach of Run for Roots. A USATF level 1 certified coach and CPR/AED certified, she'll start studying for her personal training license in the upcoming months while kicking off her 2012 Half Ironman training. Kara is thrilled do be our founding coach and has a message for all RUN FOR ROOTS runners, “Bring it on Miami!”