EVENT DATE: May 18, 2014
DEADLINE TO GIVE: Jun 18, 2014
• Run/walk begins at 8:30 a.m.
• Race-day registration opens at 7:30 a.m.
The start and finish are at UPMC St. Margaret, 815 Freeport Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15215 (near Aspinwall).
Individual: Race Day: $30
Family of Four: $70
Three-person running teams of two men/one woman or two women/one man. Team entry fee: $60. Team challenge entrants are eligible for individual and age-group awards and all random drawing prizes.
• Friday, May 16, noon to 7 p.m., hospital lobby — Entrance B
• Sunday, May 18, 7:30 to 8:30 a.m., registration area
All registrants: Post-race drawing for great prizes — gift certificates for local restaurants, hotels, golf, and entertainment, two Steelers game tickets, and much more.
About the Event:
St. Margaret Foundation invites you to join us to present the 26th Annual Fitness Classic 5K Kickoff to Summer, to be held on Sunday, May 18, 2014.
The Fitness Classic averages approximately 700 participants and last year, raised $90,000 to help fill in the gaps with hope with transportation to chemotherapy and radiation for cancer patients, much needed medication for the underserved, immunizations for families, Free Rides For Seniors, nutrition education for children and adults, eye examinations for diabetic patients, medical supplies not covered by health insurance, and more. Money raised from Fitness Classic 5K Run/Walk will help patients and communities of St. Margaret Hospital.
No person should have to worry if they have clothes to wear home from the hospital, or have a ride to their chemotherapy, or if they have to split their pills in half. St. Margaret Foundation has filled in the gaps where hope does not exist by providing transportation, medication and nutritional education for the uninsured and under insured.
Here are some examples:
-$25 pays for three months of multi-vitamins or calcium supplements for a nursing mother
-$30 pays for transportation for a patient with cancer to receive their chemotherapy treatment
-$37 pays for an aero chamber (“spacer”) for an individual or child with uncontrolled asthma
-$75 pays for an eye exam for a diabetic patient
-$100 pays for one vial of insulin for a diabetic patient
-$150 pays for an air conditioner for a patient with pulmonary disease
-$650 replaces a washer and a dryer lost in a flash flood
-$1,000-$2,000 pays for numerous medical needs at UPMC St. Margaret Family Health Centers in Bloomfield-Garfield, Lawrenceville, and New Kensington where the vast majority of patients are below the poverty level; i.e.: prescriptions, walkers, crutches and braces, books for children, obesity prevention programs.
Stories of patients who have benefitted:
• The Foundation covered the cost of transportation from Greensburg for the husband and four children of a 42 year old woman in critical care at the hospital. Bringing them to the hospital allowed the husband to meet with all of her physicians so that they could make important decisions related to her care.
• A 36-year-old man with Crohns disease had not taken his medications for six months since losing his health insurance benefits. This resulted in a severe flare of his disease which necessitated a hospitalization. St. Margaret Foundation covered a one month supply of his medications while Social Work completed a Medical Assistance and indigent pharmaceutical assistance applications.
For the first time, corporations can enjoy some friendly competition in the Corporate Fundraising Challenge! Businesses can compete to raise money for St. Margaret Foundation here on Crowdrise! Simply create a fundraiser! For more information, please call (412)784-4215.
“Massaro Corporation sponsors the 5K Run/Walk because we believe in the well-being of our communities. It's a great way to give in a healthy productive way.” - David Massaro, Massaro Corporation
“The Fox Chapel Plaza is proud to sponsor the St. Margaret Foundation Fitness Classic. We believe in the Foundation’s efforts to help improve the health and wellness of the community through its unique programs and initiatives.” - Alex Condron, Fox Chapel Plaza
For more information on the Fitness Classic, visit