Salute the Sun Wisely 2017
EVENT DATE: May 06, 2017
a day of yoga to raise awareness about sun safety and funds for melanoma research
Yogis regard the sun with reverence, viewing it as not only the source of light and life for our planet but as a powerful symbol of the divine Light within us all. But the sun can be a dangerous friend. Exposure to the sun without adequate protection can lead to skin cancer, including melanoma. Join us in spreading awareness about sun safety and raising money to help find a cure for melanoma.
The Wise Heart Community began Salute the Sun Wisely in 2014 at Ruscombe Community Health Center. The event has grown each year and and now includes participants from yoga studios throughout the Baltimore area. In addition to raising awareness and funds for research, Salute the Sun Wisely brings the Baltimore community together to remember those we have lost to melanoma, support those who are battling, and honor those who are working toward a cure.
- Become a event sponsor
- Form or join a team to complete one or more rounds of 27 sun salutations in our Sun Salutation Relay
- Sponsor a team member
- Rent a table to sell your goods or advertise your services ($25)
- Come to our event on May 6
Grace Fellowship Church
9505 Deereco Rd.
Timonium, MD (free parking available)
Schedule of Events:
- Doors open at 11 a.m.
- 11:15-11:45 Why and How We Salute the Sun with Pat Barnes
- 11:45-12:15 Sun Salutation Relay, round 1, dedicated to those we have lost
- 12:15-1:00 Workshop: Embodying Awareness of the Six Perfections with Sharon Harty
- 1:00-1:30 Sun Salutation Relay, round 2, dedicated to those who are battling
- 1:30-2:15 Workshop:Gentle Yin Yoga with Christine Garrison
- 2:15-2:45 Sun Salutation Relay, round 3, dedicated to those who have survived
- 2:45-3:30 Workshop: The Piriformis Muscle with Mark Garner
- 3:30 -4:00 Sun Salutation Relay, round 4, dedicated to those working toward a cure
- 4:00-4:45 Yoga Nidra with Mira Tessman
- 5:00-7:00 Kirtan with Pat, Bill, Ian, and the Wise Heart Community
Ongoing throughout the day:
- Yoga Garage Sale
- Mini-classes and workshops
- Sunscreen & Skin Care Product Samples
- Sun Safety Tips
ALL EVENTS ARE FREE OF CHARGE. DONATIONS WILL BE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED