Graham Griffith via Crowdrise
April 16, 2012
BENEFITING: BOTTOM LINE INC
ORGANIZER: BOTTOM LINE INC
EVENT: 2012 Boston Marathon
EVENT DATE: Apr 16, 2012
Mileage Tracker: 280
The big day is here. The Boston Athletic Association is nervous about runners being safe in what could be the hottest day the race has seen, well, in its history. So we are all being reminded hourly to take it very slow. And that's exactly what I plan on doing. While thinking about all the support I have received, and our Bottom Line team has received, over the months of training.
Right on Hereford.
Left on Boylston.
I am running the Boston Marathon this coming Patriots' Day (April 16, 2012) to raise funds for an organization in which Rainey and I deeply believe: Bottom Line. I am hoping that you can donate in support of my effort.
I expect you have several questions:
1) With me being among the slowest runners you know, do you have to donate a certain amount of money for every minute it takes me to finish the marathon?
2) Does this mean whenever you see me you will have to listen to my cracking joints and groaning?
3) What is the bottom line on Bottom Line?
1) You can simply make a donation via this website. You don't have to worry about how long it will take me to run the course.
2) Yes. But isn't this already the case?
3) Bottom Line has been giving one-on-one support to students in Boston public high schools for 14 years. These are low-income students whose parents were not able to attend college. And The Bottom Line has had great success, in large part because not only do work with the students through high school, they also continue to work with them during their years in college, and help them land their first jobs after graduation. My cousin Greg Johnson took over the program a few years back, and now he has expanded Bottom Line to Worcester and New York City. Rainey and I have met and heard the stories of some of the students, and we are always impressed and moved. You can read some success stories here.
If you know me, you know that while I do not have any kids of my own, I care greatly about all the children in my life. Our support for Bottom Line comes from our deep belief that communities need to do right by all the children in our midst, not just those that share our bloodlines. It costs Bottom Line approximately $1,000 to support one student for 1 year. I have committed to raising $6,000, but I am aiming to raise $10,000. That would support 10 students.
So please give generously, and help me start off on the right foot.
BOTTOM LINE INC wrote -
Bottom Line was founded in 1997 to help low-income and first-generation students get in to college, graduate from college, and go far in life. Since then, we have provided one-on-one guidance and mentoring to thousands of high school and college students. This year, we will be providing personalized support to nearly 2,000 students across Massachusetts and New York.
Bottom Line's 2012 Boston Marathon Team will run 26.2 miles on April 16th (plus a few hundred more during training) as a way to contribute to our organization and the students we support. We're hoping to raise more than $75,000 this year through our marathon team, which makes a huge impact on our organization.
I hope you'll consider making a contribution to the team or a specific runner.
Thank you. Whatever you can contribute will help our students get in, graduate, and go far!