Robin Hood wrote -
As you know the marathon was CANCELLED at the last minute. I want you all to know that every cent raised on my page is going straight to the Robin Hood Hurricane Relief Fund to help New Yorkers in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
On November 4 I am joining Team Robin Hood to run the New York City 2012 marathon. I am doing this crazy thing to raise as much money as I possibly can for Robin Hood, a frontrunner in the fight against poverty in New York City. Robin Hood funds more than 200 different City organizations including those offering job training to the unemployed, Veteran's assistance, comprehensive mental health and children's health programs, as well as outreach for the homeless, teacher training and assistance for victims of 9/11. You can't live in New York and not be aware of the impact of poverty on our city. Here's an opportunity for you to help.
Visit our website HERE
For the past 5 years, more than 650 Robin Hood runners have crossed the finish line of the ING New York City Marathon. Along the way, these runners have raised nearly $4 million for Robin Hood, helping to feed, shelter and heal our neighbors in need, as well as equipping them with educational and employment opportunities to improve their lives.
This year 100 runners will participate in the marathon as part of Team Robin Hood. Each runner has personally committed to raising $5,000; 100% of which will go to help New Yorkers in need build better lives for themselves and their families.
On race day, November 4, we invite you to join Robin Hood staff, family and friends at our famous Mile-20 block party (just off the 6-train). Cheer your favorite runners on their final leg of the race while rocking out to DJ Bonnie! This big bash also includes a Jumbotron featuring all 45,000+ runners in their glory as they turn off the Willis Avenue Bridge, bleacher seating, Robin Hood t-shirts and cheer-stix.
Please help support these runners and their mission to fight poverty. You can make a donation in support of a particular runner or make a general donation in support of the entire Robin Hood team. Look what your support can help do for the city of New York:
- $50 covers the daily wage for one formerly homeless man to participate on a work crew assignment that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 provides a day of high quality preschool for one child.
- $100 connects one low-income family to public benefits, social services, and employment counseling.
- $200 helps a woman secure a $1,500 microloan to help her launch or expand her own business.
- $750 provides a year of basic literacy training and G.E.D. test preparation for one student.
- $1000 pays for health care for one adolescent for one year.
- $1,500 provides a year of counseling for the family of a child enrolled in pre-school.
- $3,000 provides six months of psychiatric treatment for a homeless person.
When you race for ROBIN HOOD, you support 200 poverty-fighting schools and programs in all five boroughs. During the race, you will pass through the neighborhoods of ten Robin Hood funded programs. Click here to view the map.