BENEFITING: The Nature Conservancy
The Conservancy’s Adopt an Acre and Coral Reef programs helps protect some of the world's most beautiful and diverse places around the world. From the wild areas where lions, cheetahs, elephants and wildebeests roam to the vital underwater homes of millions of species – you can make a lasting difference by symbolically adopting the place or places they care most about.
Since the Adopt an Acre® program began in 1991, the Conservancy has protected over 600,000 acres of vital landscapes around the world. The environmental impact has been positive and far reaching, but there is still more work to be done.
The Nature Conservancy's Adopt a Coral Reef program raises funds for important coral reef projects in The Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Palau and Papua New Guinea. As some of the most biodiverse and wondrous places in the world, coral reefs need our immediate attention. If the present rate of destruction continues, 70% of the world's coral reefs will be destroyed by the year 2050.
With a network of partners, The Nature Conservancy protects and restores important lands and waters in a variety of ways, such as:
- Acquiring land and preserving marine environments
- Planting trees and restoring native plants
- Conducting field research to identify and protect key breeding sites
- Hiring and training guards and staff to protect against illegal logging, poaching or fishing, and to keep lands and waters healthy
- Working with private landowners to establish permanent conservation easements