reNew Lots will ACTIVATE, REVITALIZE, and TRANSFORM two vacant lots in East New York, Brooklyn.
All donations will support the economic, cultural, social, and environmental goals listed below. A donation of $80 and above gets admission for two to our upcoming Cocktails & Culture Reception.
Stimulating East New York's local economy
- storefronts made available to East New York entrepreneurs at below-market rates
- FREE professional development services and trainings for participating vendors
- diversifcation of retail and food offerings, creating an incentive for residents to invest in their own community
- arts performances and exhibitions attracting consumers from throughout New York City and beyond
Supporting Brooklyn artists
- residencies with visual arts studios available at below-market rates
- FREE professional development services and trainings for community and resident artists
- opportunities for paid performances and sales of visual artworks
- creation of a strong network of socially engaged artists
Inspiring our community
- FREE and low-cost cultural performances and activities for East New York residents
- creative community services provided by participating artists
- lectures, panels, and workshops inviting residents and artists to discuss and participate in East New York's future
Creating a replicable model for neighborhood revitalization
- solutions for the use of vacant lots, addressing an environmental justice issue effecting low-income communities
- plans for changing the perception of neglected properties in urban areas as commercially unviable
- strategies for successfully implementing temporary activition projects towards sustainable community growth
Further Project Information:
The reNew Lots Market and Artist Incubator is the transformation of two vacant lots into a one-stop shop anchored in the arts and rooted in the East New York, Brooklyn community. Simultaneously addressing the lack of cultural programming in East New York and presenting a desirable package of entertainment, retail, and food offerings to consumers citywide, the reNew Lots project will serve as an impactful social and economic force in an area in sore need of rejuvenation. ARTs East New York is thus committed to the active repurposing of these forgotten spaces toward the environmental, cultural, social, and economic benefit of this Brooklyn community.
This mobile project will create new jobs for East New York residents, offer professional development training for artists and small business owners, and create a vibrant arts and culture destination unlike any other. Our hope is that this unique endeavor can serve as a replicable model towards the revitalization of East New York and the many other communities whose numerous vacant lots remain an untapped resource.
Parnters include ORE Design and Technology, Local Development Corporation of East New York, Brooklyn Arts Council, and Pratt Center for Community Development. This project is made possible by the New York City Economic Development Corporation.