AJ's Kilimanjaro Climb for a Cause
Team Member: Amber Vargo
EVENT DATE Jul 10, 2015
AJ Best wrote -
July 2015 will be Friends-Together's third relief trip to Tanzania. I am lucky enough to be joining this group of fantastic people to help others less fortunate. This 3-4 week trip brings me back to Africa to help on the grassroots level. I was a rural health volunteer with the US Peace Corps many moons ago in Senegal but Africa has never left me! I have been jonesing to go back to help. Over the years I have done several athletic-based endurance fundraisers including walking marathons and riding my bike from CA to FL.... but never hiked a mountain as big as Kilimanjaro. I love the idea of making a difference in others lives by improving oneself along the way - giving to others and challenging myself physically makes a happy couple.
Friends-Together's mission is to inspire today’s generation to take action to improve their lives along with local and global communities. We have chosen to work in Tanzania because it has been ravaged by HIV/AIDS cases. Today, 40 percent of adults in the country were orphans to HIV themselves. Our goal in returning to Tanzania is to provide hope, opportunity, and success for the future by providing essential supplies and materials for basic health care along with education for the rural community. We have several sighted schools, clinics and orphanages that will be receiving the items that each of us carry over.
Now is a good time to mention that freindstogether.org is an outstanding organization in which NO MONEY COMES OFF THE TOP. All supplies will be transported by me and other volunteers. All expenses are up to the individuals fund raising efforts and although Friends-Together staff is coordinating this extended trip they are are doing it all on a volunteer basis. For this reason this relief trip really caught my eye - the money goes where it is supposed to go! Although I need approximately $4000 to cover trip costs and purchase medical and school supplies, my goal is to raise $10,000 to have extra money to help with building addition to a chosen school or orphanage and help with educational costs of children in need.
There are many ways you can help.
1. Press the Donate Button and donate money to help with costs of the trip. (I will be paying out of pocket for the Kilimanjaro trek.)
2. Donate airline miles to me so I don't have to pay for a ticket. (Email me directly about this please)
3. Donate school and/or medical supplies for me carry over. (I will post a needed list soon)
4. Pay me to paint a room or rooms in your home to help raise money for expenses (I LOVE to paint and I bet you don't!).
5. Come to the Mardi Gras Masquerade Party with live band on February 21, 2015 (more details later)
6. Give the gift of time and help me get the word out...share my site, be "On my Team" and raise money to meet the goal!
I will update you on my progress, events and we'll have some fun along the way. I will also post a list of examples of what your money will potentially go towards (example: $50 buys a desk).
Thank you for your time and generosity.