ALERT, a project of Earth Island Institute, is being started to give people the tools and understanding to deal with the public health effects from extreme oil activities. At present, transparency regarding the toxicity and health consequences of such activities going on in our communities is severely lacking.
We have the right to know. We have the right to protections. Your support will enable ALERT to deliver what people want and need – the information, skills, tools, training, testing and treatment to protect our families, our health, and our homes.
Your support means funding for programs such as:
- Creating and sharing user-friendly educational material and resources about environmental health and disease for the general public, with a focus on chemical illnesses from exposure to oil and gas activities
- Training local trainers with nonprofit organizations to share and build on this material, to address their community’s concerns and needs
- Developing and conducting public health surveys and performing epidemiological research
- Raising funds to test and treat at least two people from Gulf Coast communities at a licensed medical clinic, as a Demonstration Project to show proper diagnosis and treatment for chemical illnesses
- Increasing public awareness about the connectivity between community and environmental health issues
- Building coalition to integrate meaningful citizen involvement in the national oil disaster planning and response system, to strengthen oil spill prevention and response policies and local governance, and to include protection for response workers and the public health
Thank you so much for joining us. Let's make healthy people and healthy communities part of our energy future.