Becca Salmins wrote -
Becca has B-Cell ALL (Leukemia) and has been doing a FANTABULOUS job kicking cancers BUTT! She has been beyond blessed by others and now it is our turn to help give back!
We have 2000 Allergic to Cancer (isn't this phrase EPIC?) bracelets to donate at $5 a piece for a grand total of a $10,000 to help aid Pediatric Cancer research! Long story on how we came up with this phrase, but shouldn't everyone be "allergic to cancer"?
Kindly note that Becca and her Mommy make them all by hand with LOVE, so we have a limited amount of 2000 available! First come, first served! We are beyond excited to help be a part of making a difference! All proceeds go to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and all money raised is sent directly to St. Jude from Crowd Rise!
Facts About Childhood Cancer
WE NEED MORE AWARENESS...because kids get cancer too!
- Worldwide, more than 160,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year.
- Every hour a child is diagnosed with cancer. Every 6.5 hours another young life is lost to this disease.
- Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease among children under the age of 15 in the United States.
- The causes of most childhood cancers are unknown. At present, childhood cancer cannot be prevented.
- Childhood cancer occurs regularly, randomly, and spares no ethnic group, socioeconomic class, or geographic region. In the United States, the incidence of cancer among adolescents and young adults is increasing at a greater rate than any other age group, except those over 65 years.
- The progress in survival rates is largely attributable to improvements in treatment and patients participating in clinical trials.
- Survival comes with a cost; 73% of pediatric cancer survivors develop at least one chronic health condition because treatments are so harsh.
- Late effects include secondary cancers, heart and lung damage, infertility, and hepatitis.
- Despite these facts, childhood cancer research is vastly and consistently underfunded.
- Only 3.8% of all cancer research funding allotted by the federal government goes to children.
For Rebecca, 2014 started like any other year. In the winter and spring, she embraced with enthusiasm, her experiences as a kindergartener. Summer was action packed with recreation, and visits from family and friends. Perfect for our Rebecca, who has boundless energy. Summer quickly faded to fall, and with it came time for school again. She was excited… her first day as a 1st grader!!! Little did she know, her first day would also be her last.
Rebecca came home from school that day healthy and happy… if for at least a moment. Within hours of falling asleep she started to experience severe bone pain, and a dramatically high and stubborn fever ensued. Within mere days our vibrant and energetic Rebecca was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and deep in to a fight for her life.
Today, Rebecca’s condition has been stabilized through intensive courses of chemotherapy and drugs, which will continue for the next three (3) years.
For more on Rebecca and living with Lukemia, you can follow her at:
For more information on Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia:
ALL is a type of leukemia that starts from white blood cells in the bone marrow, the soft inner part of bones. It develops from cells called lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell central to the immune system, or from lymphoblasts, an immature type of lymphocyte.
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia invades the blood and can spread throughout the body to other organs, such as the liver, spleen, and lymph nodes. But it does not normally produce tumors as do many types of cancer. It is an acute type of leukemia, which means it can progress quickly. Without treatment, it can be fatal within a few months.
REWARDS - TAKE NOTE! Crowrise does NOT give us your mailing address! Please be on the lookout for a "Thank You" email from us! In this email, we will be requesting the mailing address you would like to have the bracelets (can also be used as hair ties) sent to! Please note that we will be doing this nightly, so be on the lookout! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your donations! TOGETHER we are helping to make a difference!
If you don't require a reward, please add "no reward required" to the Comments field when you donate. Thank you!
YOUR PLEDGE: For every $5 donated, you will be mailed (USA addresses only) an elastic "allergic to cancer" bracelet / hair tie.
For example: Donate $25 and you will be mailed FIVE bracelets.