BENEFITING: ALS Association Greater New York Chapter
ORGANIZER: ALS Association Greater New York Chapter
I am excited to be part of Team ALS for the 2016 United Airlines NYC Half Marathon which will be held on March 20th, 2016.
This will be my FIRST half marathon. Running is a sport that I have always loved; after many years off, I started running again this past summer, where I have found a whole new love and respect for the sport.
When deciding to run the NYC Half Marathon, I realized I had the opportunity to raise money while reaching a new personal goal, and what better incentive to do something than for charity! I will run on behalf of Team ALS in honor of my dear friend, Chef Gerard Hayden.
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a fatal disease that affects 5,600 people in the US each year. Gerry Hayden was diagnosed with this disease in December of 2010, and he passed in the late summer of 2015. I am raising money in his honor. I always knew of the disease but it wasn't until Gerry was diagnosed with it when I grew to understand how devastating it is. The NY restaurant community lost an amazing chef, and I lost an amazing mentor and friend. I was blessed to have known him, and he is greatly missed by family and friends.
The awareness and support that fundraisers and the Ice Bucket Challenge generated was outstanding, however, there is still a long way to go - and more importantly, there's still no cure.
Just a few quick facts about ALS:
- ALS is a fatal neuromuscular disease that causes progressive deterioration of the motor cells in the spinal cord and brain. Thus the patient becomes progressively weak.
- Simple tasks such as getting dressed, brushing teeth, smiling, standing, walking, speaking, and eventually breathing are lost. YET the patient does remain mentally aware.
- There is no known cause or cure for ALS
- ALS can strike anyone
- Approximately 5,600 people in US are diagnosed each year
- Life expectancy of an ALS patient is 2-5 years from diagnosis
Your generous donations will go towards the ALS Association-Greater New York Chapter. With your help, I hope to reach my goal of raising $2500 for Team ALS in support of their good research and advocacy work.
No amount is too small! I am so appreciative of your belief in me and your aid in the fight against ALS!
Thank you for your support!