BENEFITING: ALTERNATIVE DIRECTIONS INC
EVENT DATE: Oct 18, 2014
Welcome and thank you for visiting my fundraising website for ADI!
On Saturday, October 18th I'll be running the Baltimore Half Marathon in order to raise money for Alternative Directions, Inc. (ADI).
Founded in Maryland in 1979, ADI (a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization) provides legal services to men and women in prison and comprehensive case management to those returning to their communities. Throughout its 35-year history, ADI has helped hundreds of clients turn a new leaf to become independent, responsible citizens while also helping to reduce the recidivism rate in Baltimore City. All donations will directly support the staff of ADI and help to sustain its five programs:
- Civil-Legal Services - pro-se legal services to men and women in prison (e.g. filing for divorce, child support modification, temporary guardianship)
- TAP/COMPACT (Turn About Program) - rehabilitation and case management for women upon their release from prison
- CHIP (Children of Incarcerated Parents) - mentor and tutor services for children of incarcerated parents
- Positive Directions - case management during incarceration and upon release for 22-28-year-old offenders
- ACT (After Care Transition) - workshops within women's prisons highlighting the resources available to former inmates upon release
I joined the board of ADI last year and I can tell you that it has been truly awe-inspiring to see the progress of the clients and the dedication the staff devotes to their mission. I encourage you to read more about ADI and its programs on their website. In particular, I would highly suggest reading the stories of the men and women who have graduated from ADI's programs to see the effect ADI has had on their lives.
After reading the experiences of these men and women, you'll be able to better understand how a previously non-athletic/non-runner individual like myself could be inspired to run 13 miles early on a Saturday morning in the middle of fall. With the clients and the staff in mind, I have been training very hard over the past few months and intend to run every mile.
I hope you will consider donating to ADI and also joining me somewhere along the course on race day!