Since 2001, over 6,200 U.S. service members have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Around half of these service members were married, leaving an estimated 3,000 military widows across our country. While the service members sacrifice is acknowledged, many simply forget or fail to recognize the sacrifice of the spouse who is now left a widow of war. Oftentimes the invisisble wounds of military widows are disregarded due to age or simply lack of knowledge and understanding.
Through the AWP, the widows left to carry the legacies of this nation's heroes have grasped on and embraced their new lives with all the enthusiasm and passion they had when their spouses were still alive. They are still inspired solely by the willpower and strength of those "in their shoes" and found that true love is eternal, that the things their husbands said and did still run through their veins, and mostly..they are not alone.
What We Do:
- Website: compiled with a multitude of resources to help widows with the lifetime of struggles that come along with being a military widow. From stories, ideas and advice, we have tons of goodies for the military widows to explore.
- DVD: Our 75 min documentary gives a candid look into the stories, struggles and perseverance of six military widows. Everything is covered, from meeting the love of their life to the knock at their door and life as a single parent. The film is being distributed FREE OF CHARGE to all military widows and widowers as a key to their healing process.
- Newletter: Ranges in content and keeps widows up to date with getaway events, scholarships and special opportunities.
- Hotline: No counselors will be answering the calls, just widows who are going through the same trials and tribulations.
- Events: We do not hold seminars or have speakers. We simply have eachother. The widows come together to enjoy life the way they did when their spouse was still alive. From surfing to skydiving, we are here to enjoy each others company and share some of our fondest memories.
Your donation will go towards expanding our comprehensive approach to meeting the needs to unify the new generation of military widows through broadening our outreach programs and activities, sponsoring a widows attendance to events without them worrying about financial costs, dispersing complimentary AWP kits to all military widows and providing a multitiude of resources towards a healing journey through widowhood.