Anixter Center wrote -
ALL kids deserve a chance to reach their greatest potential--but without play-the likelihood of this accomplishment is dismal at best.
For most kids that are typically developing, play is easy and spontaneous. However, kids with disabilities face immediate barriers to play and their ability to use play to learn new skills and concepts. This often forces the exclusion of kids with special needs from games and activities being enjoyed by their families, peers, and friends.
That’s where Lekotek comes in! Our innovative programs utilize PLAY and TOYS to break down these barriers, increasing kids’ inclusion within their families and communities and empowering them to soar to their highest potential!
What’s more, FAMILY is at the heart of all of our programs. Individualized family-based play sessions, play groups, and community programs help kids with disabilities build skills vital to their learning and social development, while at the same time enabling families to spend quality time together bonding and having fun.
Your generous donations and fundraising efforts will help to unlock the power of play, giving kids with special needs the chance to do and become whatever they want--whether it's riding a bike, playing with the same toys as their siblings, becoming an astronaut, climbing a mountain, or becoming the president of the United States!
For example, your gift of:
- $1,500 will provide a scholarship to a low-income or financially strained family, enabling them to receive an entire year of Lekotek’s services;
- $500 will help us add a specially adapted bicycle to our Toy Lending Library for families;
- $250 will allow us to conduct a play session at the home of a family with a child who is a medically fragile;
- $25 will enable us to modify an off-the-shelf toy so that kids with special needs could play with it too!
- $20 can help us buy art and crafts supplies for 15 kids; to use during one of our Sensory Storytime programs at their local library
- $10 can be used to buy the batteries needed to operate the toys families check-out of our Toy Lending Library.
The more you give and fundraise on behalf of Lekotek’s families, the greater our chances of winning an Art Van Charity Challenge grant of up to $100,000!!
So, please start giving ALL Kids a Chance, TODAY!