Jennifer Roecklein via Crowdrise
March 07, 2013
BENEFITING: SPECIAL SERVICE FOR GROUPS INC
EVENT: ASICS LA Marathon 2013
EVENT DATE: Mar 17, 2013
TEAM SSG is the official LA Marathon team for Special Service for Groups, a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to providing community-based solutions to the social and economic issues facing those in greatest need.
Who we are fundraising for: SSG has many projects: we are specifically fundraising for two. the Asian and Pacific slander Obesity Prevention Alliance (APIOPA), which focuses on access to healthy food and environments for Asians and Pacific Islanders, and the Tongan Community Service Center (TCSC), which focuses on advocating for the needs of the local Tongan community.
About APIOPA: Access to healthy food/environments APIOPAs mission is to empower Asian and Pacific Islander (API) communities to improve their health by proactively addressing social, cultural, environmental, and political factors that contribute to the growing rates of obesity among API residents in Los Angeles County.
About TCSC: A voice for the Tongan community TCSC provides social services to vulnerable families, seniors and disabled Tongans in Los Angeles County. They support the community to engage in pressing issues, including poverty, education, immigration and health.
How much are we fundraising? We need your help to raise $20,000 to support critical programs APIOPA and TCSC coordinate. 100% of your donation will go to support life-changing programs such as:
- Advocating to change policy at local parks to address safety and environmental concerns
- Leading prevention and intervention on diabetes in API communities
- Connecting API community members with community gardens
- Starting and maintaining an Asian Community-Supported Agriculture program
- Creating curriculum linking spiritual faith with health at local churches
Learn more at www.apiopa.org
- Naturalization and Immigration Application Clinics and Services
- Health education & Health navigation, to address major disparities in chronic diseases such as cancer and obesity
- Tongan language classes to preserve traditions and culture
- Tongan Community Literacy Classes
- Advocating to change policy around tobacco use and safety around local parks
Learn more at www.tonganla.net