BENEFITING: ARMS OF LOVE INTERNATIONAL INC
A few weeks after Super Typhoon Haiyan made landfall in the Philippines, we have learned that regular sources of electricity and water will not be restored until early 2014. Thankfully, with the purchase of a generator and our water well, we have been able to meet basic water and electrical needs. However, children’s home facilities suffered about $10,000 in damage in the earlier 7.2 earthquake and subsequent typhoon, and our staff had most of their homes destroyed or rendered inhabitable.
HELPING OUR COMMUNITY:
The immensity of the needs facing the children in the Philippines is becoming clearer. Water and sanitation services have been destroyed, and safe water is becoming increasingly harder to find. Safe water is essential to protect children from diseases that, when coupled with malnutrition, can be deadly. Our surrounding communities have suffered mayor destruction, and many children have lost everything: family, home, security.
UNICEF estimates that thousands of children under the age of five were displaced by Haiyan.
Destruction of homes and schools during disasters, and the resulting mass displacement of communities and families, are known to leave children at risk of abuse and exploitation.
At Arms of Love, we have a campus of homes and facilities in the Visayan Islands, the most impacted region, that can provide a new family, a new home and a new future for some of these children. With your help, we anticipate that we will be receiving new children in the upcoming months as a result of the disasters.
EVERY DOLLAR OF YOUR DONATIONS CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE! WITH YOUR HELP WE CAN:
- Repair and restore our children’s homes and related facilities. Estimated cost: $8,300
- Purchase a second generator to provide for additional electrical needs of our staff and children: $1,500
- Fuel for our primary power generator, needed to supply electricity and to pump water for our staff, children, and nearby community. Estimated cost: $700/month for at least three months
- Provide psychological care and counseling for the children to help with post-typhoon trauma. Estimated cost: $10/child/month
- Provide extra tutoring to the children so they can catch up with their lessons in school: $10/child/month
- Medical check-ups and laboratory testing for our children, together with preventative medical care to preclude disease: $20/child/month
- Prepare our homes to receive more children in the upcoming months. Incremental cost of receiving each additional child: $140/month
Work together with us to rebuild the community and to make sure that every child is safe.You can donate to this fundraiser, sponsor a child in the Philippines, or send us a check to: Arms of Love International, 2973 Harbor Blvd. #535 Costa Mesa, CA 92626.
To learn more about Arms of love, please visit our website.