BJC via Crowdrise
May 10, 2014
BENEFITING: PENCILS OF PROMISE INCORPORATED
EVENT DATE: Jul 01, 2012
ABOUT PENCILS OF PROMISE: In 2008, when Pencils of Promise was founded with just $25 and the goal of building one school, people said it was impossible. Three years later, they have built more than 50 schools in Guatemala, Laos, and Nicaragua. Pencils of Promise believes that achieving the impossible is in fact very possible.
I’d like to take a moment and share with you all a very interesting initiative I came across. Through the use of Crowdrise.com, I created ‘Autographed For That’ - a fundraiser to help raise money for some of my favourite organizations (Pencils of Promise, Global Green USA, Falling Whistles, USO, Invisible Children, etc.). In this case, my primary inspiration for this fundraiser was the origin of the charity Pencils of Promise. Founder, Adam Braun has expressed that the source of his charity’s mission was a question. Rather a conversation:
It began with a question.
A small boy, begging on the streets of India.
“What do you want most in the world?,” Braun asked.
This anecdote changed my life forever - and has struck me. If we think about people, whether in need or not, we are all surrounded by materialism. Our society has created symbols of wealth that many aspire to have. Those in need can only accumulate increased wants - which is why the little boy’s request for a pencil is a shocking one. As I stated, “the boy could’ve said anything else.”
Since that moment, it’s been Adam Braun’s mission to try and provide something so essential, like quality education. But, now it’s also become mine, to be apart of the impact as big as the one Adam has made and continues to make. As an advocate for education myself, I fully support the motions of this charity and encourage donation.
Pencils of Promise: $25 educates one child for a whole year. 100% of online donations go directly towards educational programs. 10K builds a new school classroom. So far, 4,000 children have been educated. 38,000 lives positively impacted by PoP. 2,000,000 instructional hours completed. With 56 completed schools, 10 ongoing builds, 2 upcoming builds. In 2008, when Pencils of Promise was founded with just $25 and the goal of building one school, people said it was impossible. Three years later, they have built more than 50 schools in Guatemala, Laos, and Nicaragua. Pencils of Promise believes that achieving the impossible is in fact very possible.
*FUNDRAISER AUCTION BEGINS JULY 1ST (EDT)* To auction off autograph(s) I've collected of celebrities as a form of incentive to help raise money for some of my favorite organizations. The highest bidding donor will receive the autographed item, and have it shipped to them!
RULES & QUALIFICATIONS ELIGIBILITY: Sweepstakes open to individual legal residents of the 50 United States . * The single picture shot of the autographed item will mean it's the one I have available to auction. (specifics below)
* You can follow me on Twitter @BRIANCH0I as I tweet the chances of how to win any of the autographs.
* If you are NOT simply donating for the cause and would like a chance to bid for the autograph, please be sure to comment/message me the initials of the celebrity's autograph you want during your donation (during the process). Failure to do so, will automatically be considered JUST A DONATION (not a bid for the item.)
*If for any reason, you change your request for a item for any of the other autographs based on it's availability be sure to comment/message me, and it will be noted.
* Donors who WIN must claim their prize through an email with the following info. (First & Last Name, Address, State, Zip Code, Email, etc.) please email AutographedForThat@aol.com
- A autograped Joshua Radin (that's right!) poster for his upcoming NEW album 'UNDERWATER' coming out in July. (his music has been featured on television series such as 'One Tree Hill', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Scrubs', etc.
- A autographed poster of Ashlee Simpson
- Autograph by Liam Hemsworth
- Autograph by Isaac Slade of The Fray
- A laminated, framed autograph by Angela Renee Simmons
*Auction begins July 1st (EDT)*