BENEFITING: US-AFRICA SYNERGY
Help us raise $50, 000 by the end of this year to provide 10 Scholarships to 10 young women selected in Africa to attend the 2015 AWLEAD Program.
Launched in 2012, the Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Advocacy, Development Program for African Women is a 12-week rigorous training, that helps young women of African Descent aged between 18 and 25 to gain access to Life and professional skills, Career Guidance, Knowledge and Networks to meet their personal goals and aspirations while effectively contributing in Africa's Development
“No country can reach its full potential unless it draws on the power of its sisters, daughters, wives, and mothers.”- Barack Obama
- Women represent close to 50% of the African population but only 16 % of them are involved in decision making.
- Women in Africa have unequal access to education from the primary to tertiary level.
- Women work more hours than males and are more likely to engage in non-market activities.
- Young women feel the sting of unemployment even more sharply. In most countries in sub-Saharan Africa and all of those in North Africa, it is easier for men to get jobs than it is for women, even if they have equivalent skills and experience.
- Women are still well marginalized in Africa.
For the past two years, the African Women LEAD Program has transformed the lives of more than 40 young African women representing over 23 African countries; through professional trainings delivered by United States renown Academic Institutions; Workshops and presentations led by International Development and Civil Society Experts; Field trips to International institutions and Unique Internship and Volunteering opportunities with prestigious institutions.
- "The AWLEAD Program is a unique program that prepares young African women by giving them the proper tools to take control of their future. This program has given me the opportunity to have access to resources and opportunities such as networking with World’s leaders or interning with the African Union, just to name few.” - Tanya Carrie, Chad - AWLEAD Program Fellow 2012-13
- "My experience with the AWLEAD Program has been a once in a life time experience. I have met a diverse array of influential people. Of all the many experiences getting an internship at a mission to the United Nations far surpassed my expectations and has been an amazing opportunity. African Women LEAD Platform has granted me access to many influential leadership roles within the community of which I am abundantly grateful for.” - Yoliswa Cele, South Africa - Fellow 2012-13
ALLOCATION OF FUNDS
Ten (10) Scholarships of $5,000 .00 will be allocated to ten young women aged between 18 and 25 years, residing in Africa and selected to attend the AWLEAD Program in the United Sates in 2015. The scholarships will cover:
- Airfare Africa-New York-Africa / $2,000.00
- Transportation in New York (12 weeks) / $424.00
- Housing (12 Weeks) / $1,500.00
- Meals (12 weeks) / 1,076.00
- Tuition and Training Materials / Due to the generous support of our donors, US-Africa Synergy covers program tuition.
The 2015 AWLEAD Program for African Women Application process will open in September 2014