4others via Crowdrise
December 22, 2011
- Right now, 884 million people on the planet don't have access to clean, safe drinking water. That's roughly one in eight of us. (UNICEF)
- Water-related disease is the second biggest killer of children worldwide, after acute respiratory infections such as tuberculosis. (UNDP)
- 1 child dies every 20 seconds from water-related illnesses.
- Over 80% of diseases in the developing world are related to poor drinking water and sanitation.
- Women and children in rural Africa walk up to 12 miles each day just to fetch water, taking valuable time away from receiving a school education or earning an income.
Clean drinking water changes everything. It eradicates water borne illnesses in communities suffering repeated bouts of debilitating disease. It also frees up women and children's time to earn an education or income. Safe water is foundational to health and providing for a family.
When the AWP began in 2007, one child died every 15 seconds from water-related illnesses. Today, that number has dropped to one child every 20 seconds. This seemingly small change saves 1,400 children every day!
This change was made possible by people like you who cared enough to get involved. By funding clean water projects, you're saving lives! Since 2007, we have funded 25 well projects, 82 Water of Life filters, and 62 biosand water filters.
The Next Project:
On June 23, 2012, a group of young people and adult leaders will return to Death Valley National Park to conduct a 12-mile walk-a-thon in the desert, braving 120+ degree temperatures! Called the "Badwater for Good Water Walk," participants will begin their trek at Badwater Basin--the lowest point in the western hemisphere and one of the hottest places on earth.
For some group members, this will be their 3rd time completing the walk; for others, it will be their first. It's an extreme event to highlight an extreme cause!
YOU can make a difference:
Click the "DONATE" button to make a secure donation now to support our efforts!
- $1 can provide clean water for 1 African for 1 year!
- $55 can provide a family with clean water for life!
100% of the funds we receive* will go directly to clean water projects in the field (including drilling and repairing clean water wells and providing Water of Life filtration systems).
Or, send your donation to: 4others at 937 Minnesota Ave., San Jose, CA 95125. Please make checks payable to "4others" and write "AWP" on the memo line.
Thanks for partnering with us in bringing safe drinking water to Africa!
*(In order to cover expenses of maintaining this website, Crowdrise deducts a nominal fee from each transaction.)