BAY AREA URBAN DEBATE COMMISSION wrote -Who We Are:
The Bay Area Urban Debate League (BAUDL) is a nonprofit organization that uses the excitement of competitive academic debate to help young people build strong voices to succeed in high school, college, and the world.
BAUDL is part of a nationwide movement that is bringing the smart sport of debate back to under-resourced public high schools. Our community is 75% low-income and 90% young people of color. BAUDL levels the playing field, ensuring that urban youth have access to the same rigorous and engaging competition as their suburban peers. Through debate, students become articulate and informed leaders in their schools and communities.What We Do:
BAUDL helps young people in the Bay Area find their voice and realize their potential through debate. All of BAUDL's programs are provided completely free of charge, allowing low-income students to compete alongside students of more privileged backgrounds.
- After School Debate Teams - Connecting students to an extracurricular academic network by teaching debate fundamentals and providing personal coaching and mentorship.
- Travel Team - Students engage in additional practice with a professional debate coach and receive the opportunity to travel nationally while participating in the highest level of competitive debate.
- Tournaments & Workshops - The entire league comes together to compete in tournaments, giving students the opportunity to put their hard work to the test. Students gain a wealth of information from an expert lab leader at workshops.
- Middle School League - Introducing younger students to the world of debate, setting them on a path to success before entering high school.
- Julia Burke Debate Institute - BAUDL's annual debate camp brings over 100 students together for 5 days of engaging, fast-paced learning through workshops and lectures led by accomplished debaters from around the country.
- National Summer Institute Scholarships - BAUDL sends students to prestigious debate institutes at colleges around the US, providing the unique opportunity to learn on a university campus, alongside a diverse group of debaters from across the country.
- Professional Development - Teachers gain the training necessary to become successful debate coaches, enabling them to recruit and maintain strong debate teams.
- Leading With Debate Fellowship - A community engagement program focused on providing connections between BAUDL youth and members of the community through public speeches, community debates, and other collaborations.
The goal of the BAUDL 500 campaign is to get 500 people to come together in the month of December and support Bay Area youth through debate. Your donation will make a meaningful difference for BAUDL students. Help us share debate with the future leaders of our communities.
- $25, Debate Materials for 1 Student
- $50, Team Recruiting Event
- $100, Invitational Entry Fee - cost for a pair of students to debate at an invitational tournament
- $150, Tournament Travel - gets a team of students to a tournament who otherwise couldn't make it
- $250, Summer Lab Pack - equips 20 young people with everything they need to begin their debate experience at the Julie Burke Debate Institute
- $600, Workshop - allows 50 students to attend a workshop
- $1000, Summer Institute Scholarship - sends 1 student to a prestigious university debate institute
If you prefer to donate through PayPal, please visit www.baudl.org/donate
DOUBLE YOUR IMPACT
During the month of December, your contribution to this campaign will be matched dollar for dollar up to a total of $10,000! This means your donation will have DOUBLE THE IMPACT for Bay Area youth!
Benefits of Urban Debate:
Through debate, students learn to think critically and speak passionately while joining a community that celebrates intellectualism. Urban debate increases academic achievement among low-income students and prepares students for strong citizenship:
- Literacy scores improve by 25% per year
- Grade point averages raise 8-10%
- High School graduation rate near 100%
- College matriculation rates of 88%
- Debate gives young people direct experience in policy design, advocacy, and deliveration
- 99% of debaters say they understand the world better as a result of their time with BAUDL
- 98% say that because of BAUDL, they are more confident in making their voices heard