Help Amara Raise $500 for the Bay Area Black Worker Center in 5 Days!
The Bay Area Black Worker Center is doing the necessary organizing to build worker power among Black communities for jobs, justice, and dignity.
I'm fundrasing to ensure that this crucial work at a time when we need it most, gets the funding and visibity it deserves. I started off as a volunteer for the Bay Area Black Worker Center and was able to hit the streets alongside members of the organization to speak with Black residents about their challenges around employment.
I continue to be inspired by the stories of our people ---
- Not only being the first in so many jobs that historically have excluded us but also opening doors and bringing others along because a raising tides lifts all boats
- Meeting powerful Black women in labor who continue to fight against racial and gender discrimination in the union, workplace, and in the wider community
- Strategizing alongside folks who have been touched by the criminal justice system who are forced to work pennies on the hour for jobs they won't be eligible for after surviving incarceration
- Learning that our folks are not only unemployed but have 2 to 3 jobs, mostly low-wage work, to keep their families afloat
- Realizing that these stories are a part of a long history of making a way out of no way and as a child of Black immigrants who moved to the U.S. for economic opportunity, my story is a part of our collective stories of migration for opportunity, saftey, and community
I'm commiting to raising $500 and more because this work just cannot wait. Our labor, leadership, and contributions cannot continue without your love and recognition. Show your support by making a donation today!