Brett and Jeff via Crowdrise
September 06, 2010
The way the event works is participants will bench press a weight of 165 lbs or 75 lbs for as many repetitions as they can. The more repetitions they bench, the more money we raise for cancer. The 3 main ways that we are raising money are:
1) Participants acquire “per rep” pledges (ex: $5 per rep) so that the amount of money increases with the number of reps he benches. Donations will be collected after the event.
2) Before and during the event, we collect flat sum donations.
3) We sell “Bench Press for Cancer” t-shirts both before and during the event.
Last year we have about 70 varsity football players and other athletes participate in the contest. We expect a similar turn out this year and hope that more join. We encourage athletes from other Brown teams and students from the general student body to participate as well. The event includes music, megaphones, athletes dressed in “Bench Press for Cancer” t-shirts, volunteers and spectators that create a fun community atmosphere that will attract attention (and donations) to our cause.
Thank you for your time. We are looking forward to another successful “Bench Press for Cancer” this year!
Brett Wyman and Jeff Matteis, Brown Football
How you can help:
1) Go directly to a participant to make a per rep donation through him.
2) If you’d like to make a flat sum donation, please write a check to The American Cancer Society and bring it to the Football Office (preferably in an envelope labeled “Yelena Cvek”). If you’d like to mail the donation, send it to:
Brown Football Office
235 Hope Street
Providence, RI 02912
3) If you’d like to purchase a t-shirt, you can either do so during the event or you can email Brett_Wyman@Brown.edu and we will send you an order form. We have yet to set the price, but we are thinking somewhere around $15.