BENEFITING: BETWEEN FRIENDS
ORGANIZER: BETWEEN FRIENDS
EVENT: Purple Purse Challenge
EVENT DATE: Oct 01, 2015
Between Friends is a nonprofit agency dedicated to breaking the cycle of domestic violence and building a community free of abuse. They created Illinois’ first 24-hour crisis line (1-800-603-HELP) which they still operate. They have assisted people near and dear to me and I am helping them help others.
Between Friends was established in 1986. The founders quickly recognized the critical need for more services for victims of domestic violence in the Chicago area. In 1991, they created Illinois’ first 24-hour crisis line (1-800-603-HELP). The line still exists, answering approximately 1,800 calls each year. Since its founding, the organization has evolved to reflect the needs of individuals, families, and communities in Chicago.
To address the impact of domestic violence on children and adults, and prevent further violence in families and communities, Between Friends offers the following programs and services:
- 24-hour, toll-free crisis line 1-800-603-HELP;
- Individual, family and group counseling in English, Spanish, French and Arabic;
- Court Advocacy services at the Chicago Domestic Violence Courthouse and Rolling Meadows Courthouse;
- Teen dating violence prevention program, Relationship Education: A Choice for Hope (REACH) for middle and high school-aged kids;
- Healthcare Education Project; and
- Community Education.
Thank you for visiting our Purple Purse fundraising page and joining us as we work to build a community free of abuse.