BENEFITING: BETWEEN FRIENDS
ORGANIZER: BETWEEN FRIENDS
EVENT: Purple Purse Challenge
EVENT DATE: Oct 01, 2015
Between Friends is a nonprofit agency dedicated to breaking the cycle of domestic violence and building a community free of abuse.
Check out the video of our Executive Director's speech at the Oct. 1st rally at the Thompson Center in Chicago to launch Domestic Violence Awareness Month this year. Also, see the pic of our Light Up the Lakefront event that same night where we lit 2430 candles on Oak St. Beech in remembrance of those who have lost their lives to domestic violence in the past year in the U.S. Help us lower the number of candles we light next October 1st.
Here's a bit more info about Between Friends and what I do there:
Between Friends was established in 1986 as a grant-making organization, but the founders quickly recognized the critical need for more services for victims of domestic violence in the Chicago area. In 1991, they created Illinois’ first 24-hour crisis line (1-800-603-HELP). The line still exists (I manage it and our amazing volunteers that pick up the line!), answering approximately 1,800 calls each year. Since its founding, the organization has evolved to reflect the needs of individuals, families, and communities in Chicago.
To address the impact of domestic violence on children and adults, and prevent further violence in families and communities, Between Friends offers the following programs and services:
- 24-hour, toll-free crisis line 1-800-603-HELP;
- Individual, family and group counseling in English, Spanish, French and Arabic; I started at Between Friends as a counseling intern!
- Court Advocacy services at the Chicago Domestic Violence Courthouse and Rolling Meadows Courthouse; After I graduated I managed this program for 3 years!
- Teen dating violence prevention program, Relationship Education: A Choice for Hope (REACH) for middle and high school-aged kids; (This program is celebrating its 20th year this year! To find out more about our #Move4Friends initiative honoring 20 years of building a movement to prevent domestic violence, click here. For 5 years I managed our prevention & education initiatives before I became the Director of Programs in January 2015!
- Healthcare Education Project; and
- Community Education.
Thank you for visiting our Purple Purse fundraising page and joining us as we work to build a community free of abuse.
I'll be hosting a Pass The Purse Potluck at my house on Sunday, October 11th. Message me if you're interested in attending or if you'd like to host your own!