Beyond My Classroom Walls - Reaching Children Worldwide
Organized by: Rebecca Jones
EVENT DATE Aug 07, 2015
• 28 children in my classroom each year • Over 500 children have been impacted by my teaching in my career thus far
Beyond My Classroom Walls
I have known for many years that God gave me a gift to connect with children and an eye to capture the beauty and truth in art. My creativity fuels my own growth and discovery because it is my constant hunger to find an avenue to express myself. Therefore, I am thrilled to share that I was selected to be a part of the Media Mission to Romania with The Archibald Project. This summer will be a rare opportunity for my passions of art and nurturing children to reach beyond my classroom and across the world to bring awareness of orphans.
• There are over 1 billion children in the world.
• There are an estimated 147 million orphans in the world today.
• All of these children have names, a story, and long to be loved.
What Am I Doing?
The Archibald Project has created a way for artists all over the world to use their art to serve orphans. In August I will be headed towards Romania with my camera to serve on an Archibald Project Media Mission. We will spend the next week loving and serving the children and staff of NOROC (New Opportunities For Romanian Orphaned Children) in Tulcea, Romania. Although I know my gift of teaching and nurturing children will be useful on the journey with the team, I will embrace the challenge when I return to put a voice behind my experiences as I share the stories I find in Romania in my community, my classroom and school, and throughout the internet with social media.
Story Telling Changes Lives
It is funny because I found The Archibald Project on Instagram as I was following a couple, who are local San Diego artists, that were adopting a little boy from Uganda. The Archibald Project has documented several adoptions and worked with several orphanages to help inspire others to get involved in orphan care. Orphan care is not a part of everyone’s life so many people are never exposed to or introduced to specific orphans. The Archibald Project has found that sharing orphan’s stories impacts people into action. Look where I am going due to their passion to use media to bring awareness to orphans throughout the world! Therefore, I hope to use my talents to help educate and inspire orphan care in my community.
How Can You Support Me?
• Spread the word: When we are traveling in August, The Archibald Project will be sharing our journey on Facebook and Instagram. “Like” or “Follow” for instant updates from our trip. They will be sharing all of the team member’s websites and work on their blog and Facebook, and I would love for you to see everyone’s work while we’re there. We would also be so humbled if you would consider sharing our work while we’re in country via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and email with your community. People love to read “good news” on their news feed!
• Partner with me: As you can imagine planning a trip to Romania can get expensive and I need your help. I would so appreciate your consideration of a financial contribution. This tax-deductible contribution will pay for my housing, food, and miscellaneous travel expenses for the two weeks I am in Romania.
• Prayers: Last of all, and ever so importantly, I ask for your prayer. I know I am in the Lord’s hands but I ask that you would pray for wisdom, and strength, peace and courage. We will be spending the majority of our time loving the children in the orphanage and I want to make sure my heart is prepared to serve them, in their needs, where they are, not just what I think they need.
Thank you for all your support and reading about my upcoming journey to influence children beyond my classroom. I am humbled and honored to have this opportunity to take my passions and share them with the orphaned children of Romania. I know God has a plan that these children will teach me so much more. I look forward to sharing many faces and stories with you very soon from my Media Mission.
Rebecca Rotsart Jones