Skip to content
georgehewett's profile image - click for profile

George Hewett's Fundraiser:

Bike Across America for Charity

George's Photo
George Hewett

THE STORY:

My name is George, I'm 23, and I'm about to graduate from UCLA on June 13th! To mark this momentous occasion in my life, I want to do something both meaningful, and challenging. On June 12th I will start my two month bike trek across the United States with One Pulse, instead of walking across the podium to receive my diploma. One Pulse is an organization in the process of becoming 501(c)3 non-profit with a mission to unite charities and people through the power of biking. The purpose of the ride is to raise money for 5 separate charities (listed below). 90% of the proceeds will be allocated equally across the charities, and the other 10% will help throughout the trip by providing us with food and essential supplies. I have never done anything like this before, so not only is your generous donation helping others, but it is also helping me... survive! Along the way I will volunteer with different charities, get to see the landscape, meet people, dodge truckers, and face other character building challenges that YOU can help me get through by purchasing 1, 100, or 1000 of my 4,000 miles. My goal is to raise $4,000 by the end of my trip in August. Along the way (assuming I have cell phone reception) I will give updates on my status, post cool pictures, and put you on blast for donating. I will be sure to keep all you great people well informed about my adventure! Check out the charities we will be helping out together:

charity: water dedicates itself to bringing the most basic of needs to communities around the world. For 20 dollars one person's life can be improved by providing them access to a clean water project in their community.
Partners In Health provides people living in poverty internationally to modern health care access. A small donation can help with bringing high cost basic health services to the state of Chiapas in Mexico for example.
The Fuller Center for Housing brings communities together in an effort to put a roof over a person's head. Resources here can help with the mission in one of 57 locations nationwide, or 16 worldwide.
The American Community Gardening Association is essentially a conservation group, whose goal it is to enhance gardening and so-called "greening" movements in the US, and Canada. Funds allocated go to help low income areas plant gardens among other relevant ecological projects.
World Bicycle Relief Organization provides the greatest form of travel in the world to African rural communities, directly and indirectly increasing opportunities in education, market access, health, and disaster relief, all by providing a simple eco-friendly means of transportation.

Friends, family, acquaintances, lovely strangers... In many ways this is a personal endeavor. I am fully committed to raising the money from now until I reach Washington D.C. sometime in August, and facing the physical and mental challenges along the way. If college, and formal education, for that matter has taught me anything, it is that I have an option to contribute something to humanity. If life has taught me anything, thus far, it is that I have an obligation to do so. This will be a collective effort however, I will not be riding alone. There will be many other great riders contributing physically, and hopefully there will be hundreds more contributing mentally.

Anything helps, even your good vibes! Ride with me by contributing, sharing my pages, or motivating me through a message, and help me support all of these great organizations.

The Team: $0 TOTAL RAISED SO FAR

JOIN THE TEAM

Want to help Fundraise or Volunteer for this amazing Fundraiser? Join the Team

Donor Comments

Be the first to Donate to George and Bike Across America for Charity.