Sandra Trusa via Crowdrise
October 05, 2011
BENEFITING: Adopt-A-Pet, Inc.
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2011
- 5 out of 10 dogs in shelters and 7 out of 10 cats in shelters are destroyed simply because there is no one to adopt them.
- Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state.
- It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the United States; estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.
- Owned cats and dogs generally live longer, healthier lives than strays.
- Most strays are lost pets who were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.
What can YOU do to help...ADOPT a pet today!! Save a life, gain a friend!!!