BENEFITING: BRATS WITHOUT BORDERS
ORGANIZER: BRATS WITHOUT BORDERS
EVENT: Veterans Charity Challenge
BRATS WITHOUT BORDERS wrote -
Helping celebrate and understand the military “brat” subculture for over a decade. So it doesn't take this generation of military "brats" 20 years to figure out "why they are the way they are!" So military brats can build on their strengths and deal with the challenges of growing up military. So they know they’re not alone, they do belong, and their service and sacrifices are appreciated. Run by brats and for brats. Help support our workshops, traveling museum exhibits, and high school BRATS Clubs!
- Donate $50 and receive a copy of the award-winning documentary, “BRATS: Our Journey Home!"
- Donate $100 and receive a copy of "BRATS: Our Journey Home" and "BRATS Raw: Kristofferson & Schwarzkopf!"
- Donate $150 and over, receive a copy of "BRATS: Our Journey Home"... "BRATS Raw: Kristofferson & Schwarzkopf"... plus a BRATS movie poster signed by the director!
- Donate $1000 and over, receive a copy of “BRATS: Our Journey Home"... "BRATS Raw: Kristofferson & Schwarzkopf"... a BRATS movie poster signed by the director... plus we will donate a Military Brat Library to the military or public library of your choice!
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR MONEY:
One of the toughest jobs in the military is just being a military kid. That’s why Brats Without Borders has been supporting current and adult Military “Brats” and other “Third Culture Kids” since 1999. In film screenings, town-hall meetings, and questionnaires, thousands of brats and TCKs of all ages, races, and branches of service have told us what they want, what they feel, and what they need. Now, we’re passing on what we’ve learned, so this generation doesn’t fall through the cracks… so they’re better prepared to build on their strengths and face the challenges… so they understand that they’re not alone, they do belong, and their service and sacrifices are appreciated.
Brats Without Borders is run by brats/TCKs, for brats/TCKs. If you haven’t lived it – you don’t know it. Take the word “brat,” for instance. Some (non-brats) have tried to get rid of the term, but “B.R.A.T.” is not derogatory! It’s an historic, time-honored reference to military children based on the acronym “British Regiment Attached Traveler.” It’s what British military children were originally called and American military kids adopted the term. There are currently 2 million “active duty” brats in America, alone. An estimated 5% or 15 million Americans are adult military brats. That’s not even counting all the military kids from other countries or TCKs from around the world!
Brats Without Borders deals with the tough stuff – because not all military kids are resilient. They’re survivors, to be sure, but that doesn’t mean they don’t hurt or need some help along the way. If you think the stresses of military life and moving are tough on an adult, imagine navigating those challenges while your brain is still forming! The challenges don’t stop when a military kid loses their I.D. card, either – some are just beginning. But there are precious few resources for “active-duty” brats and even less for former brats.
That’s why Brats Without Borders focuses on raising awareness of mental health issues and developing research, training, and resources that prepare brats, TCKs, and their families for the changes and challenges their children will inevitably face, before and after they graduate. Here are just a few of our programs and resources:
- “BRATS: Our Journey Home” – the award-winning documentary about the life and legacies of “growing up military” – narrated by Air Force brat and legendary singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson, directed by Army brat Donna Musil, and featuring the late Army brat, General Norman Schwarzkopf (see video!).
- BRATS Workshops™ for Adults/Teens – training sessions and briefings for parents, professionals, and teenage brats. (We’ve been giving free briefings to deployed military families at Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Programs all around the country this year!)
- UNCLASSIFIED: The Military Kid Art Show – the first contemporary art exhibition exploring the American Military B.R.A.T., an invisible subculture – a Military Kid Art Project/Brats Without Borders joint program – launching Fall, 2013 – winner of a 2012 Newman’s Own Award, and made possible by the Sprint Foundation, Fisher House Foundation, and the Military Times.
- BRATS Clubs – year-round, peer-centric after-school programs for military-connected teens and tweens that offer fun, games, and leadership activities, but most importantly, kinship with children of like minds and experiences or “a soft place to fall.” Led by teachers who were also brats!
- America’s Silent Heroes – a live, 2-hour Variety Show Spectacular celebrating the children of our U.S. Armed Forces, being recorded and aired on American Forces Network.
- The Military Brat Library – a one-of-a-kind collection of books/films celebrating and exploring the lives of brats/TCKS.
It takes an astute adult to see beyond a brat’s tough exterior. Whether a brat is 8 or 80, Brats Without Borders is there to listen, provide support, and advocate on their behalf. Because we know a little understanding goes a very long way!
To find out more about Brats Without Borders’s 14-plus years of service to both current and former military brats and TCKs, please visit us at: www.USAbrat.org.