INSIDEOUT LITERACY ARTS PROJECT wrote -
After displaying masterful skill and extraordinary bravery on stage during three separate poetry slams, five phenomenal young finalists received the highest scores of this year’s competition – thus becoming the 2017 Detroit Youth Slam Team. All of them are members of Citywide Poets, an award-winning afterschool program created by InsideOut Literary Arts Project.
Proud to represent the Motor City, this Detroit Team will compete at the 20th Annual Brave New Voices (BNV) International Youth Poetry Slam Festival in San Francisco this summer on July 18-22
Help them get there!
Your support will help send the Detroit Youth Poetry Slam Team to San Francisco for the experience of a lifetime. While they have earned the right to compete, all BNV Festival participants have to cover their own registration and travel costs.
Your support provides these youth with:
- Three months of focused coaching and mentoring
- Ability to participate in workshops led by highly acclaimed artists
- Connection to a community of peer poets from across the country
- Access to the Brave New Voices international network
- Opportunity to represent Detroit both locally and nationally
- Travel expenses and registration fees
And in case you missed it, some of our Grand Slam finalists (YaKuZa, Imani, A’janae, Eldric and Damon) were also featured on WDET: