BENEFITING: Breakthrough Greater Boston
Breakthrough Greater Boston prepares low income students for success in college and trains the next generation of urban teachers using its unique Students Teaching Students Model.
Breakthrough's Summer Program provides rising 7th-9th grade students with an an intensive six-week, full day academic program offering five academic classes and a 3:1 student to teacher ratio.
The Need: More than half of the achievement gap between lower- and higher-income youth can be explained by unequal access to summer learning opportunities. With respect to summer reading loss, low-income students lose more than two months of grade level equivalency in reading achievement over the summer months, despite the fact that their middle-class peers make slight gains.
This fundraiser underwrites the cost of books for our Summer 2014 Literature courses for more than 180 rising 7th, 8th, and 9th grade students at our Cambridge and Boston Campuses, enabling them access to top-quality academic programming throughout the summer.
What our students are reading:
- 7th Grade: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Sherman Alexie
- 8th Grade: Zeitoun, Dave Eggers
- 9th Grade: A Midsummer Night's Dream and Othello, William Shakespear
The impact of YOUR contribution:
- $15: Enables a student to have their own personal copy of one literature book.
- $30: Supports a 9th grader in reading two of Shakespear's classic plays.
- $60: Enables a student in each grade level, 7th, 8th, and 9th, access to summer literature materials.
- $100: Supports one classroom of students in advancing their knowledge of literature.
- $270: Supports the purchase of books for 10% of our students enrolled in our 2014 summer program.
- $3,300: Provides books for our entire Cambridge and Boston Campus (180 rising 7th, 8th, and 9th graders).