Internship in Uganda!
Organized by: Sierra Cameron
EVENT DATE Jun 03, 2015
[Immediate] Gain hands-on international experience by living in Uganda for 8 months, interning with an NGO, working with refugee rights, gender-based violence, womens empowerment, and community development
[Ultimate] Dedicate my life towards an improved future and the liberation of struggling communities by working with human rights organizations around the globe
WHAT INTERNING IN UGANDA WILL DO FOR ME:
- Define my niche within the realm of Sustainable International Development
- Immersion in a society that is currently being uplifted from a perpetual cycle of struggle, allow me to witness these global issues that I am studying about outside of a book, adding experiential knowledge to my theoretical knowledge that I am gaining through College
- Allow me to see an NGO in action working towards the efforts of my highest interest, allowing me a more well-rounded and truthful perspective of what is working and what is not in this field
- Help me avoid the famous catch 22 “need a job to get experience, but need experience to get a job”
- Shape my entire perspective on life and the world as I know it
WHAT IM DOING AND WHERE IM GOING
I am approaching the end of my 1st year of community college in San Diego. I am working towards an Associates Degree in Peace Studies (non-violent movements and social action), with plans to transfer into UC Santa Cruz to complete my Bachelors Degree in Community Studies (public engagement and enacting social change). With this degree, I plan to work with different human rights organizations throughout my life who are working to fix damaged societal systems and obtain justice for struggling communities.
I have been learning about countless communities throughout history that have been liberated from oppression and hardship by people joining together to change these cycles of struggle, non-violently. I am going to dedicate my life towards being one of these human beings, working towards the well-being of mankind.
Don't wait for anyine else to change things,
Be the Change You Wish To See
WHY IM FUNDRAISING
The cost of airfair, immunizations, supplies, visas, housing and other expenses of this journey will total around 3,000. I will be gone for 8 months, from June 3rd to January 21st, and will not be able to work during this time, so the support is greatly, greatly appreciated
This will truly be the most important, life-changing, perspective-shifting experience of my entire life so far. I cannot thank you all enough for supporting this dream, my future, and the future of our planet.