CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER INC via Crowdrise
November 20, 2012
BENEFITING: CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER INC
The Las Vegas Contemporary Arts Center continued to bring the best of the contemporary art world to the Las Vegas Valley in 2012. In addition to its traditional roster of top-quality exhibitions featuring local, national, and international artists, the 23-year old institution expanded its operations significantly with the creation of a new member’s gallery and reading room and transformed it’s street-facing window gallery into a community space highlighting the work of student artists and community projects. Some of this year’s highlights include:
- The 23rd Annual Juried Show: Featuring artwork from around the US and LA-based art critic Mat Gleason as the show’s curator and judge, the Contemporary Art Center’s annual juried show not only spotlighted the work of 45 amazing artists but gave rise to a documentary short by Eric Minh Swenson, “Mat Gleason: The Hung Juror in Las Vegas”.
- Off the Strip 3: For the third time, the Contemporary Arts Center gathered work from the cutting edge of video and performance art, collaborating with other local galleries and the London Biennale to create a city-wide celebration of typically under-supported artforms.
- Eastside Gallery: After incredible installations by Su Limbert, Marc Mellon, KD Matheson, and others, the Charleston Avenue-facing window gallery was transformed into a learning space, allowing Las Vegas Academy art students to create installations playing off/with the exhibitions inside, extending the conversation to the street.
- Members’ Gallery and Reading Room: A fundraising drive in August allowed the Contemporary Arts Center to transform part of its space into a gallery for the exhibition of work by its members and a reading room with a library of books, magazines, and catalogues from institutions around the world.
- Workshops: The Contemporary Arts Center’s commitment to education and service to the arts community informs the development of a new set of educational opportunities, starting with a series of “Build an Online Portfolio” workshops offered by CAC boardmember Cynthia DesGrange in partnership with Fremont Street-based tech center, usr/lib.
- Website Redesign: Our new site is sleeker, more representative of the Contemporary Arts Center’s forward-looking sensibility, and better-organized, allowing for greater access to information and a stronger overview of the work we do and how you can get involved.
The Contemporary Arts Center is grateful to the support of its members and sponsoring organizations, without whose ongoing financial support none of this would be possible. We look forward to another year of ground-breaking exhibitions and events, increased collaboration with Las Vegas-area organizations, and expanded educational opportunities. With your support, we can offer more workshops, expand our art offerings, and strengthen the foundation of the Las Vegas-area arts community