BENEFITING: LUNGEVITY FOUNDATION
EVENT DATE: May 23, 2015
Stephanie Flinn wrote -
In Memory of Todd Lowell, MSG U.S. Army
(4 February 1972-23 May 2012)
- 1 in 15 people in the US will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetime.
- More than 224,000 people in the US will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year, with a new diagnosis every 2½ minutes.
- About 65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers. Approximately 10-15% of lung cancer cases are in those who never smoked (Todd never smoked a day in his life).
- Lung cancer takes more lives annually in the US than colorectal, breast and prostate cancer combined!
- Lung cancer research needs investment that matches the impact of the disease: lung cancer kills nearly twice as many women as breast cancer, yet it receives a fraction of the funding for research. LUNGevity Foundation, the largest private funder of lung cancer research, is changing this by investing the funds we raise with you on research into the early detection and effective treatment of the disease.
Time to take action and join the team!!! Burpees International is a burpee-a-thon designed to raise lung cancer awareness and to raise funds for lung cancer research.
Joining the team requires you to raise money in the form of pledges ($$ per burpee) or a flat rate, your donors get to pick. Donations are made directly to the website and the funds are automatically sent to LUNGevity.org…..no money exchange required!
Imagine if we had only 100 team members that each raised $100 earning lung cancer research $10,000!!!!!! Work for that money and do burpees until you can’t do any more! Can't do burpees? You can donate to the cause...simple as that!
Make this go global by inviting everyone you know to join the Burpees International event! From the main event page click "Set Up Your Fundraiser" then follow these steps:
- Click either "Join a Team" (if you will be part of an existing team) or "Start Your Own Fundraiser (this will allow you to establish a local team while still being part of the event).
- If you select "Start Your Own Fundraiser" the next screen allows you to create a fundraiser title (could be your name or Dale Mabry CrossFit Burpee-A-Thon...you choose)
- From there you can customize your page and invite your friends and family to join the fun!!!
On 23 May 2015, gather your local team members and see who can out perform who in the first ever burpee-a-thon to raise money for lung cancer research! There will be a first place prize for the most burpees completed and a first place prize for the most money raised. MadFitter will be sponsoring the prizes so be prepared for some awesomeness coming your way.
Visit www.LUNGevity.org for more detailed information on lung cancer statistics, early warning signs and symptoms and how your money will be used for research.
Note: Please let your donors know they will receive a "thank you" e-mail from www.crowdrise.com for their donation that can be used for next years taxes.